Three in one, day that is

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1000004289.jpg

Left: lard, 50%, olive oil, 25%, coconut oil, 20%, castor oil, 5%.
Middle: coffee water sub, olive oil, 25%, coconut oil, 20%, rice bran oil, 20%, Shea butter, 20%, castor oil, 5%. The bottom has 2 tsp cocoa powder to make it darker than the "crema" top.
Right: olive oil 74%, coconut oil, 20%, castor oil, 5%. Zany's faux sea water and 2 tsp French green clay.

What did I learn? A lot of cleanup. The lard soap is hard already. The lard version used lye at 2:1 and traced fast. The other two were at 1.7:1. The Castile version took forever to trace. It used a SF if 3%, the other two at 5%. I think 2:1 was good for the lard soap.

Still it was fun to do. Now we wait.

Those look great! I'm curious about your lard soap tracing fast, since normally lard is a slow mover. I often use it at 50-60% in my soaps, with a 40% lye concentration (or 1.8:1 water:lye ratio).

If yours moved fast, there was probably something else going on, such as the temperature of the oils and lye solution, any FO/EO that might speed things up, or maybe older lard? Older oils will make the batter move faster for sure.

It traced faster than I expected. Temp was around 115°F. I also didn't pay attention to the lye ratio and left it at 2:1. No scents added as it was my first batch. I like to try the recipe without first. Plus some of my friends and family don't like scents.

Latest posts

Back