EO seized batter? Safety issue?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantoscopic33

Reaction score
Hi all! First post but I’ve been reading a bunch and am newish to the soap making addiction.

Today I made a batch of soap with the same recipe as I’ve successfully used in the past but used Lavender Essential Oil instead of FO. Admittedly I am unsure of age of this oil. I received a rather large bottle as a gift. This is soap for myself not to sell.

As soon as I added EO (which I did at emulsification/very light trace) my batter immediately changed consistency and became grainy. It looked a lot like applesauce.

My initial reaction to this was to blend it smooth again. 😳 It kinda worked.

I proceeded with a more gloopy version of my intended design and at the end of placing in the mold it was almost more light jello applesauce. (Scoop and push down instead of self leveling).

This is the first time I experienced this. Lessons learned. I probably stick blended too much and dumped all the EO too quickly/all at once. I might not use this EO in future.

My question really is: would this affect the safety of the bar at all? Anything to look for to indicate it needs to be thrown out?
Is it just not as pretty but still good soap?

Thanks much in advance for reading and sharing your wisdom!! 🤓

Carolyn

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You say you dumped in the FO, then say you might not use this EO in the future. Which is it ? Confusing.

What was the brand of this lavender EO (or FO)? If it was purchased from Amazon or a craft store, it is probably contains some ingredients that aren't suitable for making soap and will cause acceleration, separation, etc.. If it is pure EO, but it is old (or wasn't stored well), that could also cause a fast trace.

Fortunately, in the end, as long as the soap isn't oozing zappy liquid, or have crumbly zappy spots, it should be fine to use.

You say you dumped in the FO, then say you might not use this EO in the future. Which is it ? Confusing.
Sorry, typo. It’s EO. After this I read that when working with essential oils it’s best to incorporate them slowly which I did not do.

What was the brand of this lavender EO (or FO)? If it was purchased from Amazon or a craft store, it is probably contains some ingredients that aren't suitable for making soap and will cause acceleration, separation, etc.. If it is pure EO, but it is old (or wasn't stored well), that could also cause a fast trace.

Fortunately, in the end, as long as the soap isn't oozing zappy liquid, or have crumbly zappy spots, it should be fine to use.
Thank you. This was very helpful.
Yes it’s a large bottle, like 16oz so I think you’re probably right on the money about additional ingredients. I’ll double check that.
And thanks for the info!!

Latest posts

Back