Nurture Wisteria Purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this thread, some were lamenting the discontinuation of Wisteria Purple from Nurture. Carrie Thornsbury kindly responded to that saying that Cheshire Cat is the same. I ordered a sample and am happy to report that it is the same. No more hoarding my tiny bit of remaining Wisteria. Cosmic Purple from Micas and More is very close, but a bit more purple than the beautiful deep violet of the Cheshire Cat/Wisteria. Super happy. @Cosmo thanks for this one!

I was just about to post a thread asking for advice on getting purple and also a lavender color for swirling with white to make a batch of soap for a friend. I think the question is close enough to keep it in this thread, but if not I will repost elsewhere. I was thinking about trying alkanet, but decided to stick with micas.

Can you recommend an approach that will get me a lavender color with micas from Nuture? They have Iris purple, which is a bit dark and then there’s Siver Mist, which looks to be on the light side. Is blending micas an option, e.g. if I have Cheshire Cat and Silver Mist, can I mix some CC into the SM to darken it a bit? The SM pics on the Nuture website are showing some variation in the color produced. The test bar is a shade of purple, but based on the other pics, the purple tones may not always come through in the soap. Would it be better to blend CC with a white mica? At one point I found an older post here on SMF where the maker had used a lowish amount of a Nuture purple mica to oils and ended up with a brown soap. As I recall, Carrie jumped in to suggest that the purple micas should be used at 1 tsp ppo. That’s why I’m thinking that blending micas for a lighter shade might be better than using less ppo. I’ve only made two batches of soap with micas to date, so still very much a mica newbie and have no idea if they can be blended.

I was just about to post a thread asking for advice on getting purple and also a lavender color for swirling with white to make a batch of soap for a friend. I think the question is close enough to keep it in this thread, but if not I will repost elsewhere. I was thinking about trying alkanet, but decided to stick with micas.

Can you recommend an approach that will get me a lavender color with micas from Nuture? They have Iris purple, which is a bit dark and then there’s Siver Mist, which looks to be on the light side. Is blending micas an option, e.g. if I have Cheshire Cat and Silver Mist, can I mix some CC into the SM to darken it a bit? The SM pics on the Nuture website are showing some variation in the color produced. The test bar is a shade of purple, but based on the other pics, the purple tones may not always come through in the soap. Would it be better to blend CC with a white mica? At one point I found an older post here on SMF where the maker had used a lowish amount of a Nuture purple mica to oils and ended up with a brown soap. As I recall, Carrie jumped in to suggest that the purple micas should be used at 1 tsp ppo. That’s why I’m thinking that blending micas for a lighter shade might be better than using less ppo. I’ve only made two batches of soap with micas to date, so still very much a mica newbie and have no idea if they can be blended.
Yes, you definitely can mix micas.

@Mobjack Bay, it's fine with me to ask your question here. I have all of the colors you are asking about. I haven't had any morph and have never gotten brown. The Silver Mist is more silver than lavender. The lavender, silver, black and white soap I made for the Tiger Stripes challenge uses Silver Mist https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-may-2019-challenge-tiger-stripes.74903/
I think I'd lighten the Cheshire Cat as I do like the blue-purple for a lavender color. If you want a lighter purple color to try, I'd go with Iris Purple. I think the two compliment each other. I have had good luck just using less mica. I mix micas in oil and add until I get the right color, so I can't really tell you amounts. When I have a little time, I can look for a couple of pictures with Cheshire Cat (Wisteria) and Iris Purple together.

You can also try the color blender:
https://nurturesoap.com/pages/color-blender

This I am sure is Wisteria Purple
Black Raspberry Vanilla Clyde Slide.jpg

The darker color is either Wisteria Purple or Purple Vibrance, and the lighter color is Iris Purple
3.2017 Secret Feather Lavender.jpg

@Mobjack Bay, it's fine with me to ask your question here. I have all of the colors you are asking about. I haven't had any morph and have never gotten brown. The Silver Mist is more silver than lavender. The lavender, silver, black and white soap I made for the Tiger Stripes challenge uses Silver Mist https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-may-2019-challenge-tiger-stripes.74903/
I think I'd lighten the Cheshire Cat as I do like the blue-purple for a lavender color. If you want a lighter purple color to try, I'd go with Iris Purple. I think the two compliment each other. I have had good luck just using less mica. I mix micas in oil and add until I get the right color, so I can't really tell you amounts. When I have a little time, I can look for a couple of pictures with Cheshire Cat (Wisteria) and Iris Purple together.

You can also try the color blender:
https://nurturesoap.com/pages/color-blender

Just the guidance I needed :)

hopefully it is all the same batch on sale. I have used Wisteria since I first started purchasing from her.
It wasn’t a big investment as purchases go. I bought 4 oz, which means a lot of purple soap my world. That’s fine because I have a few friends who really, really love purple and they won’t mind at all if I give them an entire loaf of purple swirled soap for Christmas :)

Back