November Monthly Challenge: December Inspiration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

This months challenge is ... December Inspiration!

What does December mean to you? Is it celebrating the holiday (Chanukah, Christmas, Winter Solstice)? Is it the weather? A specific activity? What do you look forward to in December? Is there a memory from a December past?

This challenge is about designing a soap that is inspired by the last month of year. If you're feeling uninspired, check out this calendar for some inspiration. Here's some soaps that I've made or found on instagram for further inspiration:
29810-52f3dffdc07b6bb8802c3127b5b95282.jpg
29811-c1f1e88ad67ffddd970776e642fdb0c2.jpg
29812-da62ed5eed1e44f369434726a1c10c5e.jpg
29813-224654dc7f1fdc922ae55751c08f58c1.jpg
29814-6ae7daf95d6cdc7fd16e6d8d7b20ca87.jpg

Rules for this month's challenge

1. Any soap can be used

2. Any method can be used to make your soaps
(soap dough, soap shavings, rebatch, molding ... any method at all!).

Whatever you imagine December could be, that's what this challenge is about!

Now for the usual rules ...

General Rules:

1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PMs when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules:

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and have been a member for a month
(sorry, but no exceptions to this)

2. Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate
(you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)

3. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts and to ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

4. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

5. Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

6. After the closing date, the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey.
The winner will be announced October 3oth, 2018. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

7. If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.

8. Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

9. All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Challenge Timeline:
  • The Challenge thread is open! Add your name to the list to join in and discuss the Challenge.
  • November 2oth: Entry thread opens.
  • November 27th: Entry thread closes at 11:59 pm GMT.
  • November 28th: Survey Monkey password/link will be sent to all entrants to cast their votes.
  • November 30th: The winners will be announced in the Entry thread!

I hope you join in! Thanks for participating and please sign up using the sign up sheet below. :)

Attachments

• 20180902_165349.jpg
    20180902_165349.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20181101-140347.png
    Screenshot_20181101-140347.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20181101-140404.png
    Screenshot_20181101-140404.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20181101-140414.png
    Screenshot_20181101-140414.png
    218 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20181101-140424.png
    Screenshot_20181101-140424.png
    260 KB · Views: 64
Ha! That snowman is cute. I just posted my Christmas soap! But I will make another loaf, as I always do for Christmas....

1. Shari (shunt2011) going to try to find time.
2. MissChief - I will make time!
3. dibbles - I can't wait to see what everyone makes for this

4. I just got new molds for embeds sooo...

4. msunnerstood - I just got new molds for embeds sooo...

5. mommycarlson (Beth) - oooh goody goody! :)

Oh that's a great idea for a challenge! I have this idea for a winter soap I've been brooding over since summer, so this would be a great push to finally try to make it! (It's quite a bit outside my comfort zone) but this month is so full already! I'm going to wait a bit before signing up, but know it's not because of a lack of interest, but rather a too full agenda..;)

6. Alzie- count me in! ❄

So, having just joined, I am not eligible for this contest (not that I would be ready anyway) but, I might in the future and as of next month I will have been a member for a month, so I will have met that criteria. How will I know when I have 50 posts? Is there a place that tells me how many times I have posted or do I have to go back and physically count them? Does it only include posts I have made? or replies to my posts - for example, does this post count? If I post more than one on a forum post, say, in answer to a reply or a post, do those count as individual posts, or just as one? I love challenges/contests and am looking forward to one that I might be able to join in.

So, having just joined, I am not eligible for this contest (not that I would be ready anyway) but, I might in the future and as of next month I will have been a member for a month, so I will have met that criteria. How will I know when I have 50 posts? Is there a place that tells me how many times I have posted or do I have to go back and physically count them? Does it only include posts I have made? or replies to my posts - for example, does this post count? If I post more than one on a forum post, say, in answer to a reply or a post, do those count as individual posts, or just as one? I love challenges/contests and am looking forward to one that I might be able to join in.
If you look to the left of your post, you'll see your details. As of that post, you have 19 posts and you joined on Oct. 24, 2018.

6. Alzie- count me in! ❄
7. Arimara - I just want to see if I can still soap.

5. mommycarlson (Beth) - oooh goody goody! [emoji4]
6. Alzie- count me in! [emoji300]
7. Arimara - I just want to see if I can still soap.
8. mx5inpenn - maybe this is the kick in the pants I need.

6. Alzie- count me in! ❄
8. mx5inpenn - maybe this is the kick in the pants I need.
9. SaltedFig ... is patiently waiting for inspiration.

I love colorpalettes.net for inspiration. Just to clarify, the design does not have to have embeds in it. If you have a picture of something that inspires a memory or feeling of December, you can incorporate those colors into the design. For example, I live in a cold snowy region so December for me often means snow and ice, which is a pain in the rear to travel in, but it does make for some really beautiful landscapes. I found this palette and think that those colors would be lovely in soap with a crisp wintery scent:
upload_2018-11-5_9-19-25.png

I came across an interesting quote a while back, relevant to this.

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action." - Frank Tibolt

Thanks misschief - that is very apt.

An idea did occur to me while I was cleaning - it made me giggle (I might still do it), but ...
I have already come to the conclusion that a soap with soap dough blowfly's on it wouldn't be particularly popular
(we are coming into Summer, and December is always blow-fly's and BBQ's, with a little beach thrown in for good measure)

... perhaps it would be better I wait a little more yet :D

Latest posts

Back