November Monthly Challenge: December Inspiration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibbles, please don't let my entry stop you from doing what you had originally planned to try. The fun part of the challenges is challenging yourself.
Ah, Misschief, thank you. I hadn't made my soap yet, and I can try a reverse feather swirl at any time. I actually just finished an attempt for the challenge, and it's very likely it will be the only one I get done. I did make an embed for another go at it if I have time. It might be a wet soap in the mold entry - wonder if that's legal LOL.

I'm loving the entries so far! Very well done! :thumbs:
I'm having a soapless month because of work stuff but I find myself coming back to the entry thread every now and again to check if there are new soaps to admire;)

I do believe I made the worlds ugliest Christmas soaps yesterday :( both fragrances accelerated - the first only one of my colours, so the swirl didn't happen. The second was instant pudding and a squish into the mould situation. Not pretty. I'm about to go look and cut them. Have a feeling the second is also a meat soap

Lovely entries, msunnerstood, Misschief and Zing.

After returning from my other brother's house (in Oregon) last night, I unpacked my soaps to let rest overnight. I had packed them into my rental car, thinking I'd work on them at his house if my niece wanted to participate. New mom with 4-month-old - What was I thinking??

Anyway, they sat in a shoe box in the trunk of the car for 3 days and didn't get too hard to work with; after all, it rained all day on Wednesday as I drove up through northern California and then sat in the cold in the trunk in Oregon. I may as well have refrigerated them. But the surface was exactly perfect this morning for the Intaglio designs I carved this morning, so I am pleased with the results. I only carved 2 bars, as that's all I made for this challenge while here in California. This was not my original color scheme or design, as I mentioned before, but they turned out pretty nice with what I had at my disposal.

I'll be posting them shortly as soon as my photos finish uploading.

These are my fails. I'm actually surprised they turned out useable, I thought they were a rebatch for sure. First reddish one is Eroma's Beach Side Christmas which accelerated so fast. Everything was going swimmingly and then I looked down at the jug I was about to pour and realised I had a solid jug full of soap. I had to bang the sucker down on the table so hard my hubby came in to see what was the matter. I'd heard mixed reviews about this fragrance. It smells good, though not entirely christmas-y. I probably wont use it again as the scent just doesnt WOW me but if I did, I'd just choose a different design. It could definitely be worked with for layers etc. The design I ended up with was nothing like what I'd intended it was just a frantic get it in the mould try to make something of it and chuck some mica on top to save it. The ugliest soap can be fixed with a mica dusting on top lol

Beach christmas.jpg

Beach christmas 2.jpg

This one was Eroma's Christmas Cedar. I was actually attempting the reverse feather swirl (seems a few of us had the same idea) however the green portion accelerated while the others didnt (weird). Again it ended up being a mix it all together drag the hanger through it and hope for some sort of useable soap. It definitely wasnt as disastrous as the first one and I think this is a fragrance that is probably workable even if it was a tiny bit badly behaved. Having said that, again the fragrance doesnt wow me although its nice enough, I probably wont use it again.

Failed christmas tree.jpg
Failed tree 2.jpg

Last year's christmas soaps were BB Lavender and Cedarwood, BB Sleighride, BB Fresh Snow and BB Frankincense and Myrrh (I never know how to spell that). I still have the last two to do, but I was trying the eroma ones because they are so much cheaper. However - I'm really not happy with them and I think I'll stick with the BB ones for the future. I'm pleased these soaps ended up use-able but I'm not sure they look or smell christmas-y. Will have to think of a different name for them.

Oh dear I just saw the date. I thought I might have a chance to enter the next couple I do if they turn out better, but there wont be time unfortunately. This is why I didnt sign up this time as I'm always running out of time lately! lol

@Zing I like how your soap turned out. The colors are perfect.
@earlene You are tenacious. Your soap is beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to find what you needed to make it. I hope making and carving your soap helped you through part of a difficult time. I am sorry for your loss.

@Primrose, I think they're not bad at all, the green one especially is really pretty I think. But of course, I get how it feels when it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

@Zing, I like your concept.. The colors actually remind me of the robes the three kings wear in little nativity scenes (or at least one of the kings lol)

@earlene, thanks for that... I actually had no idea about redwood cones before and I like that I learned something new today. Good job on the carving too! Condolences as well, may your step mom rest in peace.

Good day, as a new member I will watch the challenge with admiration. I love looking at others soaps, and someday hope to be in a challenge. I will be soaping here today as I have 2 more events to help create a cleaner world.

This month has completely gotten away from me! I haven't had time to make a single soap. I can see if I have a bit of time after kids are asleep tonight, but I get the feeling I'll be missing the deadline. [emoji37]

It's the raindrop technique. I watched YouTube videos. I made a few other ones the same day that turned out much better but they weren't Christmas-y [emoji846]

@mommycarlson I love your lights in the snow. Using that technique to get the design was brilliant!

My other idea for this challenge comes from a family tradition that my grandmother started. I'm not sure if any generations before her did this as well. She kept each of her children's baby rattles and hung them on the tree every year. My mom kept my rattle and I kept each of my children's favorite rattle. I now have my dad's and mine, and have given DD and DS theirs for their own tree. The colors in the rattles are (dad) red, white and blue; (mine) yellow and white; (DD) purple, (DS) blue, yellow and red. I wanted to use a pine green as the background, and took some liberties with the yellow (changed to gold) and purple (deepened the color) in the hopes of keeping it from looking like a preschool art project. I don't really think I succeeded with that - it wasn't even close to what I was hoping for. I poured the embed for my entry from some of the batter from this batch. At least it was a very small batch, and it does smell pretty nice.ornament try.jpg

Thank you Dibbles! Yours are gorgeous! Here are the two other attempts I did that day, I did not do "Christmas" colors so even though I think the technique is improved with these, I entered the Christmas colors one :) The one on the left is the one I did not cut the tip of the pipette enough, it was too small, but I do like the technique a lot, it's fun to have something suspended in the soap.

IMG_20181126_165403869 (1).jpg

Thank you Dibbles! Yours are gorgeous! Here are the two other attempts I did that day, I did not do "Christmas" colors so even though I think the technique is improved with these, I entered the Christmas colors one :) The one on the left is the one I did not cut the tip of the pipette enough, it was too small, but I do like the technique a lot, it's fun to have something suspended in the soap.
I love them. The different sized openings in the tip make a big difference. The tiny drops are pretty cute, and are still well formed.

That droplet technique is on my to try list. Just waiting for the right FO to inspire me. They all look great! I'll be doing the survey over my lunch hour so those who signed up can vote on the entries, it will go out as a PM in a few hours!

The time now is 4:19pm GMT ... you are a little early amd.
As pointed out in the entry thread, I have my time conversion wrong - entries will still be open for a few more hours! Sorry for the confusion. So if you still have an entry to make, please do so!

Latest posts

Back