New member in Brisbane Australia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’m new here but I’ve made CP soap on and off for a decade or so. Doesn’t make me an expert of course! I’m just confident enough to give soaps away but not to sell them.

I recently retired and now have more time to devote to hobbies and interests outside work. Living in Brisbane means, aside from occasional high humidity, we have good soap making and curing weather most of the year.

I recently started making candles due to difficulty procuring one of my preferred soaping oils in Australia. Ethically sourced Palm Oil is scarce here since the pandemic. It was my practice to make soaps as a thank you gift for my customers around the country but a couple of years ago I made candles instead. After all, how hard could it be? 😝

Anyway, I found I enjoyed candles too. Much more expensive for me than making soaps but good fun and people always seem to be happy to receive them as gifts. They require a slightly different set of skills than soap but I like learning and I don’t want my brain to die for lack of exercise.

I fully intend to pick brains here if people will allow it. I’ve had a look around and am impressed by how generous everyone is with their hard earned knowledge. I might even chime in with something useful occasionally myself.

Glad to be here. Cheers, Grant.

Hi Folks,

I’m new here but I’ve made CP soap on and off for a decade or so. Doesn’t make me an expert of course! I’m just confident enough to give soaps away but not to sell them.

I recently retired and now have more time to devote to hobbies and interests outside work. Living in Brisbane means, aside from occasional high humidity, we have good soap making and curing weather most of the year.

I recently started making candles due to difficulty procuring one of my preferred soaping oils in Australia. Ethically sourced Palm Oil is scarce here since the pandemic. It was my practice to make soaps as a thank you gift for my customers around the country but a couple of years ago I made candles instead. After all, how hard could it be? 😝

Anyway, I found I enjoyed candles too. Much more expensive for me than making soaps but good fun and people always seem to be happy to receive them as gifts. They require a slightly different set of skills than soap but I like learning and I don’t want my brain to die for lack of exercise.

I fully intend to pick brains here if people will allow it. I’ve had a look around and am impressed by how generous everyone is with their hard earned knowledge. I might even chime in with something useful occasionally myself.

Glad to be here. Cheers, Grant.
Welcome to the forum. Even despite all the hardships that the pandemic caused, its awesome that you still kept up with it. I honestly was always intimidated with candle making, so I went to soap instead. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I think picking brains is how we all learn and move forward with the knowledge we have. Recently became enlightened in a different thread and it has made me rework my entire recipe to make it better and understand it better.

Welcome again to the forum! =)

Welcome.gif

Ethically sourced Palm Oil is scarce here since the pandemic.
Shea butter is a good substitute for palm oil, as is lard and tallow. Soy wax is popular for no-palm, no-animal fat soaps. I don't use it but there is a large contingent of members who do use it and will happily guide you, if interested in giving it a go.

I recently started making candles
Plenty of soapy talk here, and other bath & body products. We don't have many chandlers though. @jcandleattic is a long-time chandler and soaper who shows up every now and then. She is here in the Denver CO area. This is high season for farmers markets so I imagine she's pretty busy at the moment but hopefully, she will pop in to say hello.

Hi Grant ! Happy to meet you !
I'm only new here, from France, and also making candles.
Talk to you soon and welcome !
Cecile.

Hi Folks,

Welcome. I'm a rank newb to soaping & struggling with my usual 'run in all directions' approach to a new obsession. The folks here have been wonderful guides for me.

Latest posts

Back