NeoDefend

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by FreeBird, Jan 11, 2020.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2020 #1

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

I want to venture into lotions & creams this year. The choice of preservatives has, to me, become more acceptable.

I ran across an article that mentioned this presevative but have not heard it mentioned by anyone so far in the circles Irun in. I highly respect the info given here on SMF so I thought I would start asking here first.

Have any of you used NeoDefend? If so what is your opinion?

TIA muchly

2. Jan 11, 2020 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I would not go with NeoDefend especially as a new lotion maker unless you are sending your lotions out for testing. NeoDefend only works below ph 5 and can cause ph drifting. It also only partially defends against mold. I would recommend one of the Optiphens. Lotions take a lot of testing. Just make small batches and read read read about your ingredients. Not all ingredients can use the same preservatives. Makingskincare.com has a lot of good information available.

Kcryss, Ladka and TheGecko like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2020 #3

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

pH drifting?
    ETA - Have you used it?

4. Jan 11, 2020 #4

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Nope, I have my preservative system I use and do not change. I have never read a lot of good about it.

5. Jan 13, 2020 #5

justjacqui

justjacqui

justjacqui

Here is the link from Making Skincare that provides a very good overview of many different preservatives.

http://makingskincare.com/preservatives/

When you start out with lotions start with a simple formula oil/water/emulsifier and avoid plant extracts/ aloe vera etc as these can often cause problems with preservation and stability. Once you have the basics sorted then you move on to adding extra ingredients to your formula. :)

Adobehead and FreeBird like this.
  6. Jan 13, 2020 #6

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Also, keep in mind some extracts and infusions are almost impossible to preserve and proteins are one of the hardest. Even parabens are not very reliable in some situations. I tried to 2 yrs to preserve an arnica infusion with no success. I finally gave up. As mentioned above, keep it simple. I absolutely refuse to make or even purchase milk lotions.

Unlimabun and FreeBird like this.
  7. Jan 14, 2020 #7

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

Thanks!
    I made a few batches several years ago using a very simple formula & Biotein. I loved it but at the time thought it was too much to take on as a continual project.
    I set a small bottle back and found it over 6 years later. I sent it for testing (not challenge) and surprisingly it was more than fine!
    I will most definitely be doing extensive research as I know so much has changed.
    Thanks again

8. Jan 15, 2020 #8

Unlimabun

Unlimabun

Unlimabun

Supporting Member

I have been using NeoDefend in my conditioners (for personal use) for years and have never had a problem. THAT BEING SAID, my knowledge of using preservatives in products has increased, albeit slightly, over the years. I have never tested the PH of my conditioners so I don't even know if NeoDefend is effective for my products or if I have just been lucky. I also have never had a problem with any of my batches that I haven't put any NeoDefend in.

I realize everything I have just said offers you no answers or solutions whatsoever. Basically, I just said "I use it and we aren't dead" – the worst product-effectiveness testimony in the world!:oops:

9. Jan 15, 2020 #9

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

@Unlimabun Thank You! That is all relevant info to my research. I am so leaning to its use in my lotion endeavors but am considering a couple more. Girl, you are obviously doing something right. Soooo, btw, do you have any knowledge about 2400 Silverion?

Unlimabun likes this.
  10. Jan 16, 2020 #10
  11. Jan 16, 2020 #11

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Keep in mind other than mold you cannot smell or see most contamination and yuckies.

Unlimabun likes this.
  12. Jan 16, 2020 #12

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

@Unlimabun It is another I am looking into experimenting with. It has been around for a while and had some really consistent results
    @cmzaha I think that is common knowledge and one of the first things you learn when researching making lotion. And it's a main precaution I think everyone would look at.

13. Jan 16, 2020 #13

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

It may be common knowledge but many do not seem to recognize it, or have their lotions tested.

14. Jan 17, 2020 #14

FreeBird

FreeBird

FreeBird

So sad, too, b\c that can really do a person some harm.

Draft saved Draft deleted