1.2:1

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Edited my original post and somehow lost it completely so here it is again.......

I am just wondering if anyone regularly uses a 45% (1.2:1) lye concentration? I am finding the latest bars I made using this amount of water are much harder bars and lasting much longer on the sink..... I just haven't come across many other people that use this amount and as a general rule of thumb it appears that most people don't go below 40% (1.5:1), perhaps because of the speed of which it traces at this concentration, which is fine for me as I am a one-coloured soaper anyway.

I found Kevin Dunn's caveman chemistry article interesting when he did experiments using 50% (1:1) ratio.....he talks about just how different the finished soap is to that of other concentrations and I wouldn't have thought going from 40 to 45% would make such a difference but for me its working so well and is definitely displaying a lot of the differences mentioned by Kevin Dunn.

Last edited:
Hi, a lot of people. Master batch at 1:1, then adjust concentration for the recipe on hand.
Could you explain how to adjust or is there a link? Maybe I should check out Yt. I normally just make each batch using soap calc and the ratio is always different. This time I just entered 1:1. Thanks for any help.

Could you explain how to adjust or is there a link?...

If you're making lye solution at the concentration that you want to use, there's no need to do any adjustment. If you're wanting to make soap using lye at a 45% lye concentration, I'd just make the lye solution at that concentration and use it directly.

Adjustment is required if you make lye solution at a 50% (or other) concentration by weight and then want to dilute that lye solution to a lower concentration, say, 33% by weight. My article about "masterbatching" explains more: https://classicbells.com/soap/masterbatch.asp

One advantage of "masterbatching" at 50% concentration is one can use other liquids besides water to do the dilution. For example, I make beer soap, so I use beer to dilute the pre-made lye solution.

Another advantage of masterbatching at 50% concentration is that lets you use different concentrations to achieve different outcomes. Soap high in coconut oil is easier to manage when using more water (less concentrated lye solution). Doing complex swirls can be easier when using more water. Soap high in oleic acid benefits from using less water (more concentrated lye solution.)

There's a lot of room for personal preference when choosing a lye concentration. There are some practical limits at either end, but as long as you stay within those limits, you can pick the concentration that works best for you. As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks."

If you're making lye solution at the concentration that you want to use, there's no need to do any adjustment. If you're wanting to make soap using lye at a 45% lye concentration, I'd just make the lye solution at that concentration and use it directly.

Adjustment is required if you make lye solution at a 50% (or other) concentration by weight and then want to dilute that lye solution to a lower concentration, say, 33% by weight. My article about "masterbatching" explains more: https://classicbells.com/soap/masterbatch.asp

One advantage of "masterbatching" at 50% concentration is one can use other liquids besides water to do the dilution. For example, I make beer soap, so I use beer to dilute the pre-made lye solution.

Another advantage of masterbatching at 50% concentration is that lets you use different concentrations to achieve different outcomes. Soap high in coconut oil is easier to manage when using more water (less concentrated lye solution). Doing complex swirls can be easier when using more water. Soap high in oleic acid benefits from using less water (more concentrated lye solution.)

There's a lot of room for personal preference when choosing a lye concentration. There are some practical limits at either end, but as long as you stay within those limits, you can pick the concentration that works best for you. As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks."
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back