NeoDefend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeBird

Reaction score
I want to venture into lotions & creams this year. The choice of preservatives has, to me, become more acceptable.

I ran across an article that mentioned this presevative but have not heard it mentioned by anyone so far in the circles Irun in. I highly respect the info given here on SMF so I thought I would start asking here first.

Have any of you used NeoDefend? If so what is your opinion?

TIA muchly

I would not go with NeoDefend especially as a new lotion maker unless you are sending your lotions out for testing. NeoDefend only works below ph 5 and can cause ph drifting. It also only partially defends against mold. I would recommend one of the Optiphens. Lotions take a lot of testing. Just make small batches and read read read about your ingredients. Not all ingredients can use the same preservatives. Makingskincare.com has a lot of good information available.

Here is the link from Making Skincare that provides a very good overview of many different preservatives.

http://makingskincare.com/preservatives/

When you start out with lotions start with a simple formula oil/water/emulsifier and avoid plant extracts/ aloe vera etc as these can often cause problems with preservation and stability. Once you have the basics sorted then you move on to adding extra ingredients to your formula. :)

Also, keep in mind some extracts and infusions are almost impossible to preserve and proteins are one of the hardest. Even parabens are not very reliable in some situations. I tried to 2 yrs to preserve an arnica infusion with no success. I finally gave up. As mentioned above, keep it simple. I absolutely refuse to make or even purchase milk lotions.

Thanks!
I made a few batches several years ago using a very simple formula & Biotein. I loved it but at the time thought it was too much to take on as a continual project.
I set a small bottle back and found it over 6 years later. I sent it for testing (not challenge) and surprisingly it was more than fine!
I will most definitely be doing extensive research as I know so much has changed.
Thanks again

I have been using NeoDefend in my conditioners (for personal use) for years and have never had a problem. THAT BEING SAID, my knowledge of using preservatives in products has increased, albeit slightly, over the years. I have never tested the PH of my conditioners so I don't even know if NeoDefend is effective for my products or if I have just been lucky. I also have never had a problem with any of my batches that I haven't put any NeoDefend in.

I realize everything I have just said offers you no answers or solutions whatsoever. Basically, I just said "I use it and we aren't dead" – the worst product-effectiveness testimony in the world!:oops:

@Unlimabun Thank You! That is all relevant info to my research. I am so leaning to its use in my lotion endeavors but am considering a couple more. Girl, you are obviously doing something right. Soooo, btw, do you have any knowledge about 2400 Silverion?

@Unlimabun It is another I am looking into experimenting with. It has been around for a while and had some really consistent results
@cmzaha I think that is common knowledge and one of the first things you learn when researching making lotion. And it's a main precaution I think everyone would look at.

@Unlimabun It is another I am looking into experimenting with. It has been around for a while and had some really consistent results
@cmzaha I think that is common knowledge and one of the first things you learn when researching making lotion. And it's a main precaution I think everyone would look at.
It may be common knowledge but many do not seem to recognize it, or have their lotions tested.

Latest posts

Back