Tin/Aluminum for Lotion Bar Packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, all. I am planning on making some mini lotion bars to put in Christmas baskets along with soaps and other B&B stuff, and was wondering if it would be ok to pour the mix directly into small tin/aluminum screwtop containers like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T66G7XL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QVUCT2KVL36L&psc=1

I haven't come to a final determination on the exact ingredients, so far abyssinian/jojoba oils, kokum/mango butters, beeswax, colloidal oatmeal, fragrance, maybe some Vitamin E. If I add other stuff I don't think it will be anything reactive with metal, also no water-based ingredients leading to rust. Is there any issue in connection with using metal for packing these? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'd never heard of DOS until I started soaping! TIA for any thoughts/advice.

Last edited:
I have to agree with @KiwiMoose - I need to take a lotion bar out of the container to use it. Last year I had some 15 ml mini deodorant tubes that I wanted to use up and poured directly into them for gifting. They were similar to this. I didn't have any leaking and they worked well. But, they are plastic if that is a concern to you. Now I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088DPT883/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 mold and this tin, lined with cupcake liners, and they fit perfectly. Bonus that the molds make really cute soaps and are great for the little bits of leftover batter.

I think @Zing uses a cake pop mold and a tin that those fit in perfectly and I really like the shape of those - they fit nicely in the hand.

Pouring it straight into the tin sounds like a wonderful idea in theory, but in practice...no, it becomes a mess to use and I ended up putting a half dozen I had on a cookie sheet in the oven to melt down and repour into molds. I use the usually bee molds found on Amazon. After pouring, I slip the cookie sheets the molds are on in the frig and they are ready to unmold and package in 30 minutes.

Thanks you all for the great advice and the links. As soon as I read it it made sense that you need to be able to take the discs out (or otherwise access them, thanks Dibbles!) to use them well. Also for answering so fast, I wanted to order molds from Amazon today for a weekend birthday. It is really nice to have a place to come and get immediate input that you can 100% trust. Now we just need a kitchen island and some bar stools :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back