Need FO quantity suggestion (first time with FOs)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibilightangel

Reaction score
I'll be soaping a 20oz batch when I get home from work and adding a scent (ginger papaya FO from new directions aromatics)

The recipe will be as follows:
coconut oil 2oz
lard 5 oz
olive oil 10 oz
grapeseed soil 1oz
cocoa butter 2 oz

superfat to 8%

One reviewer said it takes a fair amount of FO in perfume oil and body scrubs, but I'm not sure what that would come out to as compared to CP soap. Another suggested drops of ginger root oil so I made up a sniffy this morning before work that I threw into a ziplock and will smell tonight to decide if I'm adding ginger EO to the mix or not (would be drops of it really as it does smell weird as compared to cutting up fresh ginger root)

So the question, what would you guys soap a new FO to? 2-3%? .5oz ppo (3.2% more or less)? Some other higher value? I love the scent right out of the bottle so I'm really excited... excited enough that I'm also planning on trying out my first swirl with the peach coloring I also got from NDA.

I usually do .8oz PPO, but that's a starting point for me. I rarely seem to need more than that, and on occasion have found that I may need less (with a particularly strong fragrance). I find that .8z PPO usually fades to just the perfect amount of scent for my taste (in CP soap). And of course, everyone's preferences vary.

.5 to 1oz PPO here... I only used .5oz PPO of BB's Drakkar type (love the smell) and it's STRONG. I don't know how it will cure out, but I wouldn't be able to keep the soap in the house if I used any more ;)

But some scents are hardly there when I used 1oz PPO. Strange how it works.

I went with the 0.8oz ppo, for a total of 1oz, 0.05oz of that being EO, the rest FO... smelled good going in.

I even attempted a swirl, but not sure how muddy it will look (we'll see tomorrow at cutting). The FO didn't particularly accelerate trace, but the unscented-tinted soap was thinner, but I attribute that to not stirring it as much as the scented portion.

Back