My new packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the link to the little wrapping jig/machine that someone created. I may devise something similar to speed up the process. It’s pretty cool! Credit given to Tyars Media for the idea...don’t know them but I like their idea!

OMG...that's amazing! Do they sell it? If not and you make one, you should sell it. I'd buy one...if I ever sell.

Just a comment about seeing unwrapped samples of soap in a store: I think that could change over time depending on the policies of the particular store.

Yesterday I went into my favorite health food store (since I have lived here) and noticed they no longer have any naked soaps anywhere in the store. None of the wrapped soaps where see-through wrapping either. they used to have at least one sample bar naked for the wrapped soaps and they used to sell naked soap by the bar or loaf. I did not ask if there was a policy change, but it is apparent that there has been, for whatever reason. I can see the wisdom of not having exposed soap on the shelves in a store that also sells food, so there may have been a health department issue involved (just one possible scenario as to why this change, but it could be any number of things.)

Thanks for that, Earlene! Those are good points! It probably is a health and safety concern.

I don’t think they sell it but I am going to bang out a prototype for myself. If I come up with something that works I’ll make one for you too. The issue I have to overcome is making a jig that can accommodate different size bars so the sides will have to be adjustable. Stay tuned....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think they sell it but I am going to bang out a prototype for myself. If I come up with something that works I’ll make one for you too. The issue I have to overcome is making a jig that can accommodate different size bars so the sides will have to be adjustable. Stay tuned....

Yeah. I thought of that. The cavity mold I'm using makes a fatty.

I love - LOVE - the packaging! It totally screams "upmarket" to me, and I would expect to pay a premium for this soap. I think the fonts are perfectly on point, the label is simple but informative, and it's easy to quickly see your company name and then find the scent of the soap. Just gorgeous.

There is one small thing about the label that is a personal irritant, and that is the "sulfate free" and "paraben free" notation. I'm not a fan when companies market by saying what is not in their product, and would rather read on the front of a label what ingredients or process they are proud of and want to tout. I realize that this can be a strong marketing ploy and is used by a lot of big (and small) companies (and in some cases they use it as fear mongering, or simply pandering to the latest public opinion craze), but it does irk me and personally turns me off to that product. Then again, this irritation has only developed after I started making most of my own bath/body products (and thus became an ardent label-reader), and I can say that the pre-2016 me wouldn't have batted an eye about it!

Howie - thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I agree about the paraben and sulfate statement. I struggled with filling the space because it looked too bare without it. I couldn’t make logo larger because of birch trees. I may still remove based on your feedback! Thank you!

Howie - thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I agree about the paraben and sulfate statement. I struggled with filling the space because it looked too bare without it. I couldn’t make logo larger because of birch trees. I may still remove based on your feedback! Thank you!
I agree with @HowieRoll too. I want to hear about the wonderful positives, not the random "negatives". Used to drive me nuts when it was the cholesterol free craze. Things that never ever had cholesterol (like celery) had cholesterol free labeling.

I guess every angle has an up and down side. It’s all a marketing ploy - just gotta pick your poison I guess!

@Hendejm - Absolutely amazing! I'm struggling with packaging and I love yours but want to know about the wrapping. Did you use tissue paper, waxed, or what type and - do you think the colors will bleed into the soap?
Thanks! It is printed on 100lb bright white paper. There is no bleeding since it’s laser printed. I wouldn’t suggest inkjet as it may bleed If your soap sweats.

Labeling is a process - I suggest making some prototypes of different types and ask friends for feedback. There are also some great YouTube videos to give you inspiration. Search “soap packaging” Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the simplicity of it, nice graphics that print well with minimal color or in black and white. It looks nice with the paper wrapping.
I dislike "natural" on soaps because lye isn't natural, and it's an unregulated term. Also if you use FO's it's not natural - in my mind, but "natural" means different things to different people. This is just my personal "tick" :)

You might want to look up labeling regulations, I think you need to have your address on the front label along with your business name. I think you also need to state Net Weight, not just the weight amount. I'm a bit rusty on regulations myself (and should probably dive back into it for a refresher) but this is what/how I remember it. You don't need to label soap, but if you do there are rules to follow - and then they are slightly different if you are following FTC or FDA regulations. For personal use/gifting carry on however you want, but it sounds like you are considering selling at some point so it would be a benefit to get it right from the start, lest using the wrong template come back to haunt you. Labeling confused the heck out of me when I was digging into it and I spent 6 months trying to sort it out. I'm 100% sure there's stuff I'm "not quite right" with on mine, but I'm not sure what isn't. (Or perhaps I'm just overly paranoid...) Yep, I do believe that I will be digging back into this topic again for myself!

I’m not in the soap business and don’t pretend to be even a novice, but I’ve run a business as a CEO for most of my career, so I get marketing. I’m wondering if you took your packaging concept and applied it to a box designed to hold, say, 3 bars if you might increase sales. Many people buy pretty soaps to display as much as use, and personally, I tend to display the ones I make in groups. Also, I never gift a single bar. Its usually 3 for some reason. 1 or 2 to me seems sort of random and “cheap.” Like, “Oh, thanks for this random bar of soap” followed by an awkward silence. 3 feels like a “set” to me—like a real gift. Maybe its just me.

I’m not in the soap business and don’t pretend to be even a novice, but I’ve run a business as a CEO for most of my career, so I get marketing. I’m wondering if you took your packaging concept and applied it to a box designed to hold, say, 3 bars if you might increase sales. Many people buy pretty soaps to display as much as use, and personally, I tend to display the ones I make in groups. Also, I never gift a single bar. Its usually 3 for some reason. 1 or 2 to me seems sort of random and “cheap.” Like, “Oh, thanks for this random bar of soap” followed by an awkward silence. 3 feels like a “set” to me—like a real gift. Maybe its just me.

Very intriguing thought. Offering a package of 3 means the buyer has to make a bigger commitment - therefore have more confidence in what they are buying. So, by default - perhaps a seller offering this portrays a "better" product...?

On the other hand, there's something very indulgent about buying separate bars if you are treating yourself: "Oh! I'll take a Strawberry Garden, a Bright Lemon, an Apple Sage....oh....and I love Salty Seas too" sort of thing. So I guess you have to understand why your audience purchases what they do.

Last edited:
Very intriguing thought. Offering a package of 3 means the buyer has to make a bigger commitment - therefore have more confidence in what they are buying. So, by default - perhaps a seller offering this portrays a "better" product...?

On the other hand, there's something very indulgent about buying separate bars if you are treating yourself: "Oh! I'll take a Strawberry Garden, a Bright Lemon, an Apple Sage....oh....and I love Salty Seas too" sort of thing. So I guess you have to understand why your audience purchases what they do.

Absolutely agree. I guess it depends on who your customer is and whether thy plan to use it, display it or gift it. Of course, you could have your proverbial cake and eat it too...individual bars and boxed sets, with a slight discount on the per-bar price of 3. Then again, you’d obviously have to be careful about controlling your packaging cost.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I suppose you are right about M&P...hadn’t thought about that! I was tempted to purchase one of her gizmos when I shared her link in an earlier post but I need it to be adjustable for different size soaps so I am going to make my own. I did make a prototype but it won’t work for taller Soaps as made and if I make it larger - it won’t work for smaller soaps so adjustable is the way to go for me.

I like your idea of printing the whole label, then you can control the design 100% and eliminate the step of pasting the white "info" portion.

One thing I have found, however, with some inks, if hands are a bit damp or greasy, the ink smears or comes off on fingers. I am sure this could be solved with different ink - but you might want to check these out under some "less than clean" fingers to see what happens. This may be ink or printer dependent - not sure.

There has been a lot of research that indicates that many buy soap by smell - so the ability to smell through the packaging is super - well done!

I design and print the wrappers for our soap and do only a couple of them in color. I have found that the newer inkjet printer inks (I use an HP inkjet printer) are excellent; they do not run or smidge. For the majority of my wrappers I use a Brother laser printer. I love making my own labels as I can note the lot numbers as I wrap the soap. My wraps are bands, not complete papers.

Latest posts

Back