My first shaving soap is a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed a waxy feel from the steric too, adding in 5% shea for a SF really helped that.

This is exactly why I started using a shave brush & vintage double edge razor on my legs. I figured if I was making a soap for wet shaving, I should understand the process and the characteristics of a good shave soap.
I doubt I'll ever go back to disposable razor, a good handmade soap and a sharp DE blade has given me the bests shaves on my life.

Same here. I decided to do it like my husband and others. No turning back now.

I too find that adding 5% Shea for superfat makes a big difference. I also use 13% glycerine.

My KOH came in, so I made my 2nd batch. I like experimenting, so I changed things a bit. Oils were 25% CO, 20% PO and 5% Shea Butter. I brought the oils to trace without the stearic acid and then added the melted SA to the thick trace. I cooked it at about 180F for an hour and then added 1.5 tbs of glycerin. My EO was a mix of Peppermint and Lavender. It hardened quite rapidly as it cooled. I rolled it into a log on parchment paper.

After 12 hours, I was able to cut the log into disks. The consistency was like play dough - Not sticky or anything like that.
ShavingSoap.jpg

I'm new to shaving soaps, so cannot compare it to any other soap. I know that it lathered well (even though I'm pretty clueless as to the best way to do that) and that the shave was effortless and smooth as can be. Photo below shows the brush after about 10 seconds of swirling it in a bowl.
ShavingLather.jpg

This has encouraged me to buy a double edge razor to get the full experience of traditional shaving. I'll probably even buy some commercial shaving soaps, so I have something to compare to. My gut feeling is this soap will be hard to top.

I've used 2% stearic acid sometimes in my cp recipes in order to add hardness and a "waxy" feel to a recipe high in olive oil. I think it also adds a nice shine.

That looks good McSpin! A good commercial soap to try that's VERY inexpensive is Arko. I mean it smells like a urinal puck but it costs a buck if you can find it local. Good thing too because I threw mine away. Still the lather was good (to be fair some people actually like the smell). It is without a doubt the price point leader. Cella is a classic tallow soap that should be tried (has Almond fragrance if you are sensitive to that).

If you want some ideas on an entry level razor, let us know! We all have opinions but you can start very inexpensively.

What amount of glycerine are you adding in? I don't find my 50% SA soaps to feel waxy - skin is different, I know, but I wonder if the glycerine is off-setting it

I may have to retract my comment about the waxy feel of stearic in my shaving soap. When I tested the lather using remnants from the crock pot after cooking, it did feel kinda waxy. But when I used it in the shower this morning to shave my legs, the waxy feeling was gone. I added 15% of total oil weight in glycerin after the cook so maybe it just needed more time.

I honestly don't have much experience with KOH & cream soaps. I've only made one batch of cream soap prior to the shaving soap/croap that I posted. I think it was Catherine Failor's recipe #5 but can't find my book to confirm. Even though that batch of cream soap rotted for 6+ months it never lost the waxy feeling!

I'm torn on what to change with my next batch of shaving soap. Should I ditch the KOH/NaOH combo and use 100% KOH next time? Or should I play around with the base oil/stearic percentages keeping the KOH/NaOH ratio at 70/30? My goal is an awesome shave soap that doesn't make my legs feel like alligator skin and also doesn't require a container for packaging.

That looks good McSpin! A good commercial soap to try that's VERY inexpensive is Arko. I mean it smells like a urinal puck but it costs a buck if you can find it local. Good thing too because I threw mine away. Still the lather was good (to be fair some people actually like the smell). It is without a doubt the price point leader. Cella is a classic tallow soap that should be tried (has Almond fragrance if you are sensitive to that).

Thanks for the recommendations. I have no clue what's local, but I'll have a look around before I order anything.

If you want some ideas on an entry level razor, let us know! We all have opinions but you can start very inexpensively.

I actually ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89bl. I think the literature said it wasn't too aggressive and I figured I'd start out with something that looked nice but wouldn't leave me looking like I was shaving with a sharpened weed whacker. I was looking at some vintage razors on ebay, but was overwhelmed by the choices. I see myself getting more than one, so suggestions are always appreciated.

I may have to retract my comment about the waxy feel of stearic in my shaving soap. When I tested the lather using remnants from the crock pot after cooking, it did feel kinda waxy. But when I used it in the shower this morning to shave my legs, the waxy feeling was gone. I added 15% of total oil weight in glycerin after the cook so maybe it just needed more time.

I honestly don't have much experience with KOH & cream soaps. I've only made one batch of cream soap prior to the shaving soap/croap that I posted. I think it was Catherine Failor's recipe #5 but can't find my book to confirm. Even though that batch of cream soap rotted for 6+ months it never lost the waxy feeling!

I'm torn on what to change with my next batch of shaving soap. Should I ditch the KOH/NaOH combo and use 100% KOH next time? Or should I play around with the base oil/stearic percentages keeping the KOH/NaOH ratio at 70/30? My goal is an awesome shave soap that doesn't make my legs feel like alligator skin and also doesn't require a container for packaging.

Maybe try a 100% KOH batch, to see what it's like. I gave 100% KOH batch to The Admirable Lady for leg shaving and she loves it

I actually ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89bl. I think the literature said it wasn't too aggressive and I figured I'd start out with something that looked nice but wouldn't leave me looking like I was shaving with a sharpened weed whacker. I was looking at some vintage razors on ebay, but was overwhelmed by the choices. I see myself getting more than one, so suggestions are always appreciated.

I got the EJ89 for Xmas to start me on this awesome journey and love it. I also picked up the Lord L6 since it was super cheap and had decent review and I've shaved with it once. It wasn't nearly as nice. I keep meaning to try it again but I am enjoying the EJ too much. Plus I'm test all these variations of soap to tune my recipe and figure I should keep the razor in the controlled column.

Gillette Slim with Polsilver Iridium DE blades.

:)

If I were you I'd try a 100% KOH recipe.

If you haven't tried scenting yet, that's another variable to consider.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm torn on what to change with my next batch of shaving soap. Should I ditch the KOH/NaOH combo and use 100% KOH next time? Or should I play around with the base oil/stearic percentages keeping the KOH/NaOH ratio at 70/30?
I always recommend people try 100% KOH because it's easier/simpler and I believe it makes a better soap. There is a definite difference in the quality/texture that I can feel - whether or not you prefer one or the other is something you will have to try.

Of course most folks would say try both ... if you do make one change at a time per batch so you know what the magic was for you.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have no clue what's local, but I'll have a look around before I order anything.
Amazon has 12 sticks for $13 and free Prime shipping (if you have Prime)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VAWZ2U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A great price if you like it. If not ... well, not the worst thing ever. :)

I think I mentioned Cella, here it is for $11 with Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y1451S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any of the RazoRock soaps are great for a couple more bucks. Of course we're talking about a commercial example so you can judge where you are based on those standards. I recommend those because in any discussion with a wet shaver they are very likely to have experienced one or both of those.

I actually ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89bl. I think the literature said it wasn't too aggressive and I figured I'd start out with something that looked nice but wouldn't leave me looking like I was shaving with a sharpened weed whacker.
The EJ is a fantastic choice to start out. Probably the MOST important items however is the blades. These are as personal a choice as the soap. There's a 90% chance you will not enjoy the blades that come with that razor in my experience. One of the best recommendations a guy new to this can get is get a sampler of blades. There are some on Amazon (of course):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OL72B8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Some of the "must try" blades (in my opinion only of course) are Feather (the sharpest thing EVER), Personna, Astra, and if you can find them in a sampler: my favorite is Iridium. If you are not a member of Badger and Blade, having a gander over there at the beginner sections and the buy sell trade area may net you a pretty good selection.

Buying a sampler is relatively expensive (around a buck a blade) because you pay for that convenience. The Feathers are generally among the most expensive in bulk, I think the last time I bought them they were $0.11 a blade. Maybe your face will like one of the less expensive ones, but you can't cheat your face. It will like what it likes.

I was looking at some vintage razors on ebay, but was overwhelmed by the choices. I see myself getting more than one, so suggestions are always appreciated.
The Gillette Tech is by far the most common and one of the milder choices. You can get one for <$10 if you don't care about the chrome (really nickel plating). Since you have the EJ I'd say unless you WANT and older razor, you probably won't find a difference in the two mildness-wise.

And ... again I recommend Badger and Blade. It's not exactly a "sister site" but I am pretty sure all the "trouble-making wet shaver dudes" here belong there as well. We don't get the benefit of learning the art of wet shaving from our parents anymore. Being able to ask questions of thousands of guys with some experience in what you are going through is the next best thing.

It takes time to learn to shave with those DE razors. Give yourself that time to learn. It can be immensely enjoyable. Craig mentioned straights and that is the path some of us take. I'm 49 years old and never pampered myself before starting this journey. It's not exactly manly to speak of it like that but it is what it is. Taking the time to slow down and enjoy a shave in the morning (or afternoon) is one of the best parts of my day. In part, it's why we are so passionate about the shaving soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use http://tryablade.com/ for my DE blades. You can pick a nice sampler for very little. Personally, I dislike feathers a lot. I just can't get a close shave no matter what and the blades seem to dull really quick. My favorite are lord platinum. I use a vintage Gillette fat boy set on 6 (they are adjustable)

I use http://tryablade.com/ for my DE blades. You can pick a nice sampler for very little. Personally, I dislike feathers a lot. I just can't get a close shave no matter what and the blades seem to dull really quick. My favorite are lord platinum. I use a vintage Gillette fat boy set on 6 (they are adjustable)
See, great example. My BEST shaves are with Iridium or Feather (I use a slant when I use a DE). Feathers do seem to dull quickly however. I cannot use Lord at all.

Good tip on the sampler place - I'll bookmark that.

IME Personna Med Preps are pretty good, but the Polsilver Iridiums are simply fantastic.

-Dave

Everyone, thanks for all those great recommendations. It's funny, but I've hated shaving my whole life and now I know why. This soap has given me my first, not only comfortable, but enjoyable shaves ever. Who knew soap making could have such an effect! I look forward to shaving each day now.

I like to tinker with recipes, so I can see myself giving away a lot of soap so I can try improving what I have. For instance, I'm not experienced at choosing scents, and will need to experiment in that area quite a bit.

Back