My first Goat's Milk Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
I couldn't wait to wake up this morning to do this. I can't believe everything went fine. I froze my milk and put it in a bowl in an ice bath to add my lye. I was so afraid I would scorch it, but I didn't! The batter was slow-moving, light and beautiful, I added oatmeal and OMH FO:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wow, fast gel. I stuck it outside in the cold, I saw a very small crack in the top starting to appear, hope it stays at that. I covered it in Saran, should I take that off?

Beautiful color, can't wait to see pics of cut soap, well done

i did my fist buttermilk bastile today and i cant wait to cut mine too! mine is in the oven cooking though

krissy said:
i did my fist buttermilk bastile today and i cant wait to cut mine too! mine is in the oven cooking though

Thanks, BakingNana!

krissy- that sounds so nice, I was eye-balling some buttermilk in the grocery store last week. Put up pics!

Hi saltydog, when I make my goat milk bars I normally cover them, I guess it's up to you if you want it covered or not. I can't wait to see how your bars turn out

Michelle

PreciousSoaps said:
Hi saltydog, when I make my goat milk bars I normally cover them, I guess it's up to you if you want it covered or not. I can't wait to see how your bars turn out

Michelle

Thanks, dixilee, me too.

Michelle,
Thanks for your response, I was worried about overheating, (it started to split a bit in the middle) but sticking it outside for a while did the trick. I left the Saran on, I read somewhere that it helps prevent ash formation?

Traceyann said:
Looking good, I put my GM in the fridge uncovered to prevent gel

Can you do that? The very corners of my loaf didn't gel & it does look creamy and nice, I can see why you would try to prevent gel in a GM soap, but I would be afraid I'd end up with partial gel, which I'm not particularly fond of. Do you have success with preventing it fully?

This is very true! Because I've had so many issues with ash, not only do I use saran wrap, I also spray my soap with rubbing alcohol. It seems to be doing the trick for me :)

Me too! I usually spritz the top when I remove my Saran. I llike the smooth-shiny look it gives the soap anyway :)

Dragonkaz said:
You GM soap looks fabulous in the mould! Looking forward to seeing the cut bars!

Thanks, kaz! I took it out of the mold this morning, but it was the slightest bit oily/sticky so I left it to air. Very faint ammonia? smell also. I'm gonna wait it out as I read somewhere that that is normal with GM soaps?

I had to leave for work anyway, and I want to cut it later when I have hubby's full attention. I got the Hobby Cutter for Christmas and the thing is just awesome! I want him to see his hard-earned cash in action. And I need someone to applause :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Here's my cut pics. The ammonia smell is gone already, (yay!) smells like soft honey. I'd like to try it again and not gel. Maybe individual molds would be best for that, cause I couldn't believe how fast it gelled in my wood mold. I'm so happy it came out well, though, and I can't wait to try it. Thanks to all for your interest and comments :) :)

wow looks great! can i ask where you got the soap stamp? i had the page i can't find it again :(

found it! :D

Back