Moringa leaves in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't say.. We usually don't pay attention lol so there could or could not be. The ones we've bought so far are from small businesses and they claim to wash the leaves before they dry and powder them so we assume there isn't anything other than dried moringa in there. But then again, there's a question of storage so there still could be other stuff in there lol

I wonder how they knew it was sand? Sometimes in my tea I see things at the bottom that could be mistaken for sand but as with most things, we really don't pay attention lol

I'll see what happens when I powder mine... Although I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to tell which is sand and which isn't.

I'm really sorry I can't be of more help.
I decided to buy the dried leaves and grind them myself. It's still on the back burner for now.
I hear ya on not paying attention to everyday things. Most of the time I have tunnel syndrome....right now I have soap for brains lol!!! Seriously if my brain had a voice of it's own it would say " soap- soap- soap- lol soap"

I'll let you know if its sandy. If it is, it will be returned.
Makes me wonder how they grind it. If its with a stone wheel, I could see it getting sand in it.

I got my moringa powder today. Only did a quick feel and taste, didn't find any sand in mine.
Its a nice bright green, very finely ground with a taste between spinach and alfalfa.
Awesome. Was it the same moringa as the link you posted? I was wondering if it would be bright green. I like that.

Yes its the same as the link posted.

I did a better check, took a long spoon and scooped up some powder from the bottom of the bag and mixed it with water.

It's not great tasting so I mixed in some coconut water and drank it. I did find a little bit of grit had settled on the botton but not really enough to be a issue.

For soap, I would just mix the powder with water, let it settle and pour into a different glass leaving the grit behind.

I will be writing to the company I bought from, letting them know of the issue and ask how the leaves are ground. Its not bad enough that it needs to be returned though and for the price, a little grit is ok.

Yes its the same as the link posted.

I did a better check, took a long spoon and scooped up some powder from the bottom of the bag and mixed it with water.

It's not great tasting so I mixed in some coconut water and drank it. I did find a little bit of grit had settled on the botton but not really enough to be a issue.

For soap, I would just mix the powder with water, let it settle and pour into a different glass leaving the grit behind.

I will be writing to the company I bought from, letting them know of the issue and ask how the leaves are ground. Its not bad enough that it needs to be returned though and for the price, a little grit is ok.
Seems like a good plan and $10 is an afordable price to play with. Still considering buying dried leaves but for now I will wait on both because I need oils too! Thank you for the details, looking forward to finding out how your soap turns out : )

I'll do that with mine as well. I think it's sufficiently dried enough to try powdering it today. I read somewhere not to leave it for too long and I think some pieces have already dried too much. I have to get as many stems as I can out first. I hope my spice blender will work lol
rsz_dsc_2550.jpg

I think my leaves need to dry a bit more..
My spice grinder didn't make it into a powder but I got some nice flakes that I infused in grapeseed oil.
I have an acne soap recipe posted in the feedback section and I am planning to use this instead of plain grapeseed.
Is this correct to leave it outside or should I let it infuse indoors? I Googled and some say infuse in the sun some day don't.
_20181022_125109.JPG

I think my leaves need to dry a bit more..
My spice grinder didn't make it into a powder but I got some nice flakes that I infused in grapeseed oil.
I have an acne soap recipe posted in the feedback section and I am planning to use this instead of plain grapeseed.
Is this correct to leave it outside or should I let it infuse indoors? I Googled and some say infuse in the sun some day don't.
View attachment 32687
It is confusing isn't it? I read that it is the warmth of the sun you want not necessarily the light of the sun. You can put a brown bag over the bottle while it gets the warmth of the sun was a suggestion. I guess that would be a balance of yes it is in the sun but it's not in the sun :)

I took it indoors but near a window hehe..
I checked and the sunlight doesn't directly hit it but that's the room where it's nice and bright until sunset.
Is that ok?

I powdered my moringa today!
_20181024_131437.JPG

My grinder refuses to go further than this. Makes me wonder what they use to powder the ones we buy here coz they're much finer. I am assuming yours is also fine, @Obsidian?

All those leaves and this is about 60 grams give or take.

Anyways, I am so excited! My neem oil has also arrived.. I'm gonna be soaping tonight after the baby sleeps!

I took it indoors but near a window hehe..
I checked and the sunlight doesn't directly hit it but that's the room where it's nice and bright until sunset.
Is that ok?

I powdered my moringa today!
View attachment 32783
My grinder refuses to go further than this. Makes me wonder what they use to powder the ones we buy here coz they're much finer. I am assuming yours is also fine, @Obsidian?

All those leaves and this is about 60 grams give or take.

Anyways, I am so excited! My neem oil has also arrived.. I'm gonna be soaping tonight after the baby sleeps!
That is a beutiful green! Can't wait to see the soap! Be careful whith the neem that stuff is strong!

I didn't get green at all! Haha must be the neem.... Colored it brown, and the activated charcoal made it darker... And the smell is something else lols

I'm really hoping it fades......

I'll post once it's cut tomorrow hehehe

Yes, my powder is very fine and made my soap very green. Neem will make brown soap and don't worry, the scent will mellow quite a lot.

Back