Mobjack Bay 2024

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Kcryss and @Lanie ❤️ @Lanie - please keep us posted as your soaping journey continues. We love to see photos!
Here is a picture I recently took of my little soap collection. Plus this week’s adventure - carrot soap and last week’s shot at a one-pot wonder. I have sensitive skin so just using clays, herbs some EOs and such. I enjoy the micas vicariously. Have gotten a lot of help from this community! ❤️🙂 IMG_2742.jpegIMG_2681.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Last edited:
@not_ally The acrylic tubes are these (76 mm/3” inner diameter). The fit is snug, but it works for most of the disks. The Amazon vendor also offers 81 mm (3 3/16th id). Which soap/what square mold are you asking about? The rectangular soaps were made in this mold.
Thank you, ordered them. I realized when I looked at them that I had the same diameter/same brand in my Amazon "save for later" list, but the 20" single tubes. This pair of short ones is so much better for doing small batches to see what the results of each disc will be, thank you for letting me know about them.

@Mobjack Bay, another question (I clearly have a problem). Did you CPOP with those acrylic tubes? Looked in the description to see if they were heat resistant and to what degree, couldn't find anything. Worried b/c of @AliensrReal experience recently when their Custom Craft acrylic mold melted in the oven.

ETA: I assume that the oven was probably at baking temps when the CC mold melted. But my oven doesn't go lower than 170F/preheat, so am concerned that is still too high.

Last edited:
@Mobjack Bay, another question (I clearly have a problem). Did you CPOP with those acrylic tubes? Looked in the description to see if they were heat resistant and to what degree, couldn't find anything. Worried b/c of @AliensrReal experience recently when their Custom Craft acrylic mold melted in the oven.

ETA: I assume that the oven was probably at baking temps when the CC mold melted. But my oven doesn't go lower than 170F/preheat, so am concerned that is still too high.
Found this on the CCT website for their acrylic molds: Upper working temperature 239–266 F (115–130 C)
I use a combination of a bucket, heating pad and towels to keep my round column batches warm. I haven’t had any issues with acrylic, white PVC or the black Wild Plantanica tubes using that approach.

Goodness MobJack Bay , you are so talented that it just inspires me to keep plugging on, and on, and on! Your feathers are fantastic and for the first time this Spring I am not going to be mad at the city where I live because they are always late to mow down the dandelions, I will be out in the middle of the road picking all of them as my yard usually doesn't have the nasty little buggers! Please keep inspiring us oldies but newbies once again!

Last edited:
Found this on the CCT website for their acrylic molds: Upper working temperature 239–266 F (115–130 C)
I use a combination of a bucket, heating pad and towels to keep my round column batches warm. I haven’t had any issues with acrylic, white PVC or the black Wild Plantanica tubes using that approach.
Do you use a silicone mat in your PVC tubes? That is what I have planned on using, my husband was a woodworker, and when he was alive he made me wooden molds to hold the ends of the tubes stable after they were full. He passed away and then I just quit soaping along with just about everything else in my life and I am now finally back to doing the things I love to do. It was 13 years ago St. Patrick's Day, I thought I would never get over the pain but it eventually lessened

Those are all incredibly beautiful. In addition to being technically perfect, your color combinations are amazing. I am now embarrassed that I purported to give you advice on pull throughs, it should have been the other way around! Where did you get the discs? I wanted a rectangular set like those but don't remember seeing them at Wild Plantanica or Love Your Suds.
If you turn your oven light on, your oven will stay nice and toasty warm but plastics won't melt! I do this when I need to make a particular type of flourless brownie. I put my eggs, butter, and hard chocolate in the oven when I go to bed and everything is perfectly melted and warm in the morning when I get up to make and bake them...and no, the eggs are still runny!

Last edited:
@Sudds thank you for your kind words ❤️. I’m glad to hear that you’re back to doing the things you love. Jars with dandelion infusions cheer me up and I hope they do the same for you.

I do not line any of my tubes, acrylic or pvc because I don’t have any major issues with sticking, which may be a function of my recipe and using 40% lye concentration. If you use a silicone mat, you may want to put parchment paper between the mat and the tube so the mat will slide out of the tube.

P.S. great tip about using the oven to warm up the baking ingredients!

I will step in here and tell you what I do with my PVC tubes. I cut a piece of silicone that fits the bottom of the tube perfectly, then I cover it with a double layer of plastic wrap, secure that with painter's tape and then screw the bottom on. If you look in the plumbing department you will see that there are bottoms for the larger pipe sizes that some of us use for our soaps. The bottoms are round, so you will have to stabilize it with a towel wound up like a donut or have a handy husband who can make you a wood-turned stand for it...which I was lucky to have!

My DH also made me a wood stand to hold my PVC tubes/soap molds, but it was large and heavy. So then he got me some flat end caps that are secured with metal straps that can be tightened and loosened easily for removing the soap. The stand is now used as a step-stool in the guestroom closet. ;)

My DH also made me a wood stand to hold my PVC tubes/soap molds, but it was large and heavy. So then he got me some flat end caps that are secured with metal straps that can be tightened and loosened easily for removing the soap. The stand is now used as a step-stool in the guestroom closet. ;)
That is hilarious! My DH turned mine on his lath, I will have to find them and send a pic. they are quite handy, flat on the bottom and round to fit the PVC cap, and are about 6-8" high! You should see the Cherry Asian-style bedroom set he made us... beautiful! I still have lots of his turned vases sitting in boxes I should sell, but don't want to yet. Is that parchment paper sticking out of the tops of your tubes? I was going to use this, but was having trouble finding wide enough pieces to fit my tubes but will look again. I still wonder why they couldn't flatten those end caps!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back