Mini crock pots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
Hey all thanks to the shaving soap threads looks like I am inspired to embark on a bunch of small test runs. Just curious if anybody has reviews or recommendations for small crocks. I see that there is a 16oz crock called the "little dipper". The seller claims the temps are between 155-170F. Seems around what people HP at but maybe on the low side to melt stearic. The next size up that also has more more standard temperatures is 1.25quarts. What do you use/like?

Most folks use plastic pots, floating in hot water in a normal sized one.

That's far too straight forward, simple, effective and economical. The consumer in me wants something I could spend money on. Maybe with a blinking light and a whirring sound, poorly manufactured to deliver uneven heat that would scald soaps in spots.
guess the other idea makes more sense. -Also another excuse to get a laser sighted IR thermometer. I think they have those with blinking lights.

I use a 4 quart Rival Crock pot. Think they cost around 20 bucks. It works great for small shaving batches and also works for those rebatch projects. It doesn't have a lot of lights, but this time of the year, I just drape it with some blinking Christmas lights and pretend I'm making space soap.

I use a 4 quart Rival Crock pot. Think they cost around 20 bucks. It works great for small shaving batches and also works for those rebatch projects. It doesn't have a lot of lights, but this time of the year, I just drape it with some blinking Christmas lights and pretend I'm making space soap.

Nice! That's a great idea. I'll get my helmet out of the garage.
How small are your test batches?

I use a small stainless saucepan on direct low heat for small batches, 100-200g of oils. This is primarily because I am too lazy to dig out my small crockpot, and I don't want to use my 3.5qt for such a small batch. I have even considered buying a new small crockpot for exactly that same reason, but I would trade blinking lights for steady even heat. I suspect you will have more success than I.

I do, however, have a pretty groovy IR thermometer.

I bought my mini crockpot at Walmart. I love it for small batches of M&P base and for melting down soap scraps.

I have a 3 quart crockpot. I make small 2.5 lb to 3 lb batches and this size crockpot works well for this. I thought about getting one of the tiny crockpot to do 1 lb test batches. I have some sample fo's that I could use up this way.

I have thought many times about grabbing one of those, they are always in second hand stores. I haven't bought one because the crock is not removable. I just keep thinking they are impractical.

I use a small stainless saucepan on direct low heat for small batches, 100-200g of oils. This is primarily because I am too lazy to dig out my small crockpot, and I don't want to use my 3.5qt for such a small batch. I have even considered buying a new small crockpot for exactly that same reason, but I would trade blinking lights for steady even heat. I suspect you will have more success than I.

I do, however, have a pretty groovy IR thermometer.

One thought that I have from this post - hot process oven process! I was looking at ways to make bigger batches and one method was putting the saucepan in to the oven to give all over even heat like a slow cooker.

It didn't help me out as 2kgs of oils would be the largest batch still, which works in the slow cooker, but I hadn't thought about small batches until I read this!

After a little mod I think the double boiler method will totally work for me.
IMG_4345.jpg
The LED is a little bright so I may put a diffuser on it.

One thought that I have from this post - hot process oven process! I was looking at ways to make bigger batches and one method was putting the saucepan in to the oven to give all over even heat like a slow cooker.

It didn't help me out as 2kgs of oils would be the largest batch still, which works in the slow cooker, but I hadn't thought about small batches until I read this!

I do all my HP batches in the oven set to 170F-180F/82C, including the small 8 oz. KOH/NaOH shave soap batches I've been making lately. It works great!

IrishLass :)

May I ask how you make your HP in the oven, please?
By the way I would like to thank you for sharing your information; I read all your posts, they are really helpful.:smile:

Found this at a local discount house for $30 - didn't buy it, Christmas and all, but it's interesting. Individual heat controls, the little crocks are about the size of a Little Dipper. Would be good for batches of balms, but also for swirling hot process soaps.

triple-crock.jpg

Oh, I love that one! - My husband has been really supportive, but I think if I come home with another crockpot, he'll kill me! (I'd have to buy 2 - I have soap in the oven all the time now, and keeping his dinner hot w/out using the microwave has been a challenge). 3 small batches of soap at one time - yes!!!!

Latest posts

Back