Micro batches?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smallest crock I've seen is 2 quarts and that seems a bit large.

I still have my 1 Qt Rival Crock-Ette. Bought it years ago from WalMart when I lived the Bakken Oil Fields, but the one in the link is similar. It's fairly basic...plug it in to turn it on, unplug it to turn it off. I used to cook small Pork Roasts or Beef Pot Roasts and Beef Stew and it got pretty darn hot.

I'll throw in here. I made a slightly modified (I added a little shea butter and some glycerin) 6oz batch of that songbird soap. It acted a little weird because I was also doing the two step process that @DeeAnna recommended. It took longer to melt the steric than I expected and the rest of the oils with the lye (85% KOH/15%NOH) volcanoed. That looked strange with KOH but, I was able to beat it down and use it. It wasn't difficult and I'm still using that batch. :)

So I've been hunting the goodwill's for a small crockpot and came across this little thing which looks like it might hold 1 quart. The really nice thing is that it's narrow so I can feasibly make a 6-12 oz recipe with the smaller diameter (surface area). Only problem is I can't find any info on what it is exactly. Might be a coffee container. It looks to be glazed ceramic and says it's microwave and dishwasher safe on the bottom and has a silicon seal on the lid. I'm thinking I can pop this in the oven (removing the silicon seal-easily done) and HP that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_153745066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210425_153745066_HDR.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1
So I've been hunting the goodwill's for a small crockpot and came across this little thing which looks like it might hold 1 quart. The really nice thing is that it's narrow so I can feasibly make a 6-12 oz recipe with the smaller diameter (surface area). Only problem is I can't find any info on what it is exactly. Might be a coffee container. It looks to be glazed ceramic and says it's microwave and dishwasher safe on the bottom and has a silicon seal on the lid. I'm thinking I can pop this in the oven (removing the silicon seal-easily done) and HP that way.
Is it glazed on the inside as well? That would be best for creating soap. A porous unglazed surface would absorb some of the soap.

Before using it for soap, I suggest filling it with water and testing it in the oven at the temps you use for soap. I'm pretty sure it should work as long as it has no micro-fissures and can withstand the heat. After all it was probably fired in a kiln, which would be much hotter.

Is it glazed on the inside as well? That would be best for creating soap. A porous unglazed surface would absorb some of the soap.

Before using it for soap, I suggest filling it with water and testing it in the oven at the temps you use for soap. I'm pretty sure it should work as long as it has no micro-fissures and can withstand the heat. After all it was probably fired in a kiln, which would be much hotter.
Yes, glazed inside and out. I'll give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back