measuring fragrance and other small quantity liquids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibilightangel

Reaction score
I have a very hard time measuring fragrance. Part of the issue is my scale, part of it is the sheer nature of small volumes of liquid for pouring.

I have a starfrit scale that reads 1g - 0.5oz increaments (fairly inexpensive, but good quality for the price... hasn't steered me wrong yet). It does fine with my oils because I pour in at a decent rate, and hard oils also go in by the chunk, so the weight goes up fairly quickly. The problem I have is with fragrance, most of the bottles I have pour by the drop. Pouring by the drop isn't bad because it prevents a mess when trying to pour out small quantities, but my scale has problems seeing weight increase when it's done very very slowly. I end up tareing the scale, memorizing the number, and then periodically lifting the container to get a negative weight (mental subtraction to get fragrance in container) as the read weight stays at 0g. I'm also started to try my hand at lotions and other goods so small weights might become a fact of life for me.

So firstly, what would be a better scale for me to use if I decide to change (or just buy another) scale? If we suppose I keep my current scale for larger weights, would a jeweler or other small weight scale be better, and which brand would be adequate?

In terms of pouring fragrance out for measuring, is there some other better system than pouring out by the drop (terribly long but mess-free)? My newest bottle of sweet orange EO doesn't have the cap that pours out by the drop and I quickly found myself with EO dribbling on the side of the bottle. I ended up using a straw for fragrance transfer, but there must be a better way to do this. I hate wasting fragrance as it smells so good and it's so expensive.

Any and all input and ideas are welcome. If you have pics of your particular setups, that can always give me ideas for how to improve my system.

I have a mini measuring cup that measures up to 2 oz. (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, etc.) of liquid. That is what I use to add fragrance to my batches. I do not use my scale to measure or weigh fragrance, color, or any other small additives. I use the scales for my oils, lye and water only.

Latest posts

Back