Fed up with my scale!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSoaperID

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m ready to invest in a quality scale. The one I’ve been using is the BB “perfect scale” and while it works ok for larger measurements, anything in the 0.1 range is consistently inaccurate with the numbers jumping all around back and forth, shooting up from 0 to 0.2 no matter how careful I am, or randomly and steadily decreasing the weight measurement by 0.03’s after I pour and am no longer touching the scale. Yes, I have tried changing the batteries. I am tired of ruined batches.

So this to say I am ready to purchase a “real,” i.e. dependable scale. What do you all recommend?

Relatedly, if this issue caused me to add too much optiphen to my body cream, do I need to trash it or can I at least test it on myself?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Last edited:
Like dmcgee5034, I have a KD-8000*, which I really like, but still needed a separate scale for precise measurements when making tiny amounts of various skincare and fragrance projects. A jewelry scale as mentioned above can be found easily on Amazon, both cheap and not so cheap. However, I don't use it for soapmaking at all, just measuring in whole grams has been fine.

*with Power Adapter, so helpful to not worry about batteries!

Check out this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/scale-review.74570/post-761764
I ended up getting the KD-8000 and a jewelry scale for precise small measurements.
That is the one I have as well. I love it! I especially like the shield that covers the numbers to protect that part of the scale from lye/other damage. We jokingly refer to our jewelry scale as the “drug scale”. I do this mainly because our granddaughter, who is an addict, stole my jewelry scale (probably to weigh her pot) and I had to buy a new jewelry scale - it is now the “drug scale”. (have to keep a sense of humor, right?) ~ ; )

Latest posts

Back