Maximum of Cocoabutter in CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My superfat was planned at 6% but my recipe notations show a slight overage of avocado so it was probably more like 7. I made it as one last attempt at a face soap but finally learned my face doesn't take real soap on more than an occasional basis. I gifted a bar (and several from other batches) to a friend who ultimately raved about this one in particular. I wish I still had it b/c I didn't take notes and don't remember anything particular about the feel or lather. At this point I'd almost assume nothing stood out as exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. It had 20% shea.

Glad to hear it : )

I wish I could get a hold of those oils, but then I had to pay huge shippingcosts, as these oils are not available to get over the counter (or anywhere else for that matter) here in Norway...

Use what you can get. I do count myself fortunate to be able to get babassu and PKO but I only consider them because of my daughter's skin sensitivities and allergies. Making your recipe without a cleansing oil is doable for me too, to keep things fair. I'd just have to break out the beef tallow since I know it's a cleansing soaping fat for me.

MySoapyHeart, do you mind if I try your recipe?

I don't sell. I just want to try it out because you are so happy with it.

You said you used a water discount. I was thinking of doing a 33% lye concentration. I know it's not much a water discount, but I want to do some swirls and I still take a long time when I do them.

Use what you can get. I do count myself fortunate to be able to get babassu and PKO but I only consider them because of my daughter's skin sensitivities and allergies. Making your recipe without a cleansing oil is doable for me too, to keep things fair. I'd just have to break out the beef tallow since I know it's a cleansing soaping fat for me.

Lucky her, having a sweet and kind mama that can design soap specifically for her. : )

I use whatever I can find here, which is coconut, lard, olive, sunflower (HO), and order only avocado oil and cocoa + sheabutter at small amounts when I can, I use them in many of my favourite recipes. I am very happy with the results of my soaps with those oils and butters, so I have nothing to complain about, really!

Would be fun to at least try palm oil once though, just to see how that feels. But paying $50 just for shipping alone - uhm - nope : P

MySoapyHeart, do you mind if I try your recipe?

I don't sell. I just want to try it out because you are so happy with it.

You said you used a water discount. I was thinking of doing a 33% lye concentration. I know it's not much a water discount, but I want to do some swirls and I still take a long time when I do them.

Of course you can earlene, no worries!

My water discound was not a big one, I didn`t dear to do too much because of the cocoa, I think I did 33% lye concentration too (I don`t have the recipe with me so can`t be 100% sure right now. I don`t trust my brain so late in the evening, almost time for bed)

Btw - If I got so much cocoabutter that I could splurge like this again (as this was gifted to me) I think I would make the cocoabutter 20% and coconut 10%, just to see how what the difference would be like.

And I would use sugar too. I didn`t use anything at all, but you would probably get more bubbles with sugar. But I am still very happy with this one even without it.

Oh, and one last thing: I never use distilled water. I use De-ionized water, because 1 bottle of destilled water here in Norway is $5 for 16 fl.oz. Available only at the pharmacy.

But I can get 5 liter (135 fl.oz) of De-ionized water for $5. That type of water is so clean you can use it to top of the battery on your car, which can not be topped off with unpure water.

I haven`t withheld any information regarding this recipe, but if there are any questions, just ask, I will be happy to answer any of them.

My superfat was planned at 6% but my recipe notations show a slight overage of avocado so it was probably more like 7. I made it as one last attempt at a face soap but finally learned my face doesn't take real soap on more than an occasional basis. I gifted a bar (and several from other batches) to a friend who ultimately raved about this one in particular. I wish I still had it b/c I didn't take notes and don't remember anything particular about the feel or lather. At this point I'd almost assume nothing stood out as exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. It had 20% shea.

Thanks for that info. 20% shea and avocado oil also sounds like a luxurious recipe!

Notes are super important, I know in the very beginning - even though I was very good at saving the recipes, I didn`t know that it would be wise to write down details about the how the soap reacted with fragrances, gelled or not, lather after cure or lather after months of curing etc.

I do those things now, but back then I just didn`t do it. Oh well, a part of the learning curve I guess.

Latest posts

Back