Lotion all at once

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever try the one phase lotion method? Does it work?

• Yes! Amazing and Fast!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Oil and Water mess!

• Never tried it! I will send you $1 and you try it! :) (jk!)

• Total voters

cdc

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been making lotion in 3 phases, water, oil then frag/preservatives. I saw a tut the other day where they added the oil and water with ewax all in one container, popped it in the microwave, and whipped it together.

Can't believe it works.

Are the separate phases unnecessary? Does the one phase method work? Does it all emulsify OK? I am too cheap to try. :)

never heard of it or tried it but i am new to lotion making so maybe that is why?

Ive done cream that way once & it worked quite nicely. Seem to remember reading somewhere it's ok to do that if theres more emulsifier than oil in yr formula? I'm curious now..... :?

DIYBathBodyAndHome's Channel check out these tutorials for what your talking about. I use the body butter and lotion ones but I add preservative other wise the easiest recipes I have used thus far. :D

Ok, I did it this way, and must say it was kinda scary. Not alot easier than two phases, and when I put the stick blender in the heated container, causing the hot oil and water to meet for a second, it started to boil funnily and I thought it would exploid and might cause dangerous burns if not careful.

I know I have heard about similar burns in the UK with people reheating their tea that had milk in it, super heating water with fats in it, when a spoon is introduced, a bad reaction and bad burns.

Hmm. 2 steps seem safer.

BUT, technically it worked fine, and I was NOT burned. :)

It sounds like your oil and water were way to hot,you only have to heat GENTLY just until your steric acid dissolves into your other oils ,you can even take the container out of your double boiler way before it is all actually melted and just stir until your solids are dissolved .

I posted pretty much the same question recently but didn't get any definitive answer as to the reason why to heat the water and oil separately or why heating together would be bad. I watched the DIYBathBodyandHome videos and decided to heat my oils and water altogether as she had done and it worked a treat. There has been no separation or other issues as yet but it's only been a few weeks.

The only reason I can see to heat the oil and water separately is if you want to sterilise the water, which is often recommended. You would need to boil the water for 15-20 minutes to sterilise it. Sterilising the water might make the cream last longer before the nasties start growing (that's my guess). :wink:

Actuallyyou should be using DISTILLED water to avoid those problems .
I substitute all of the water with Aloe Vera juice. :D

I would use distilled if I could but I can't find distilled water in the shops. If anyone knows where to get it (in Aussie) please let me know! :)

I thought too much Aloe was meant to be drying... do you find it drying or moisturising in your creams?

I love useing the aloe juice and I haven't noticed the lotion being drying at all .However I am now concerned about what you heard about Aloe being drying if too much is used. Can you give some more info on that? :)

Latest posts

Back