Working with Rice Bran wax - Lotion bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CecileBC

Reaction score
Hi all ! Hope you're well !

Does anyone work with RBW in lotion bars ? I would like to know if the following works for you:

Apparently, RBW can be worked this way: raising the temp above melting point, adding the other butters. When all the butters are dissolved, start mixing while the pot is in the water bath. Then take it out of the bath while keeping the mixing going, until it reaches about 55 degrees C (130F). It should be then more "stable" and allow the less heat-resistant ingredients to be added.

So far I have been melting all my ingredients together and I poured almost straight away before the RBW solidified again.
However, I have had mixed results as it sometimes seem like the batter is not homogeneous nor smooth-looking on the surface...

I was wondering if anyone had had good results with the above-mentioned method, or another one as a matter of fact ?
Thanks !!

Hi !!!!!
Yes I did, from DeAnna. Thanks ;)
Today I have ordered some Soy wax, to see how it feels on the skin. I have never tried it, but I know you like it in your recipes. I'll let you know when I get it.
So far I hadn't been too keen on using it because of soy and deforestation. However we have now a European soy, which eliminates the issue... I hope !

Hi !!!!!
Yes I did, from DeAnna. Thanks ;)
Today I have ordered some Soy wax, to see how it feels on the skin. I have never tried it, but I know you like it in your recipes. I'll let you know when I get it.
So far I hadn't been too keen on using it because of soy and deforestation. However we have now a European soy, which eliminates the issue... I hope !
I had no idea about soy and deforestation! That's the reason I don't use palm in my soap! But I googled in and sure enough...
https://ourworldindata.org/what-are... all of this occurs,the tropics, another 13%.They get you at every turn it seems.
New Zealanders seem more focussed on palm as 'the naughty one', so that's why I've always made my soap palm-free. But i didn't know until reading that article that beef was the biggest driver of deforestation. Indeed, at the turn of the century (1900) NZ was mostly a land of forests until the British colonised the country and turned it all into farm land. Dairy, beef and lamb are our biggest exports.

I don't know why, but I always assumed that most soy is produced in the US. Maybe it's because Virginia grows a lot of soybeans.

AAK, the producer of GW 415, provides this information on their website:

Through Golden Wax, AAK offers a strong portfolio of plant-based candle waxes made from sustainably sourced soy, palm, rapeseed and coconut, with quality protection by strong process controls.

Their commitment to sustainability is on the linked page. One of the bullets:
  • 100 percent verified deforestation-free and conversion-free palm and soy supply chains by 2025
I don't eat much meat, but I sure do love butter and cheese.

Here is what I found about European soy, which most candle makers here rave about:
Only 19% of European soy use is verified deforestation-free | IUCN NL

There is so much greenwashing these days that it's hard to know what to do...
I heard this morning that France's overseas territories (there may be a better word in English for them... ;)) are going to convert their source of electricity from coal to rapeseed oil. Great, one would say, but this rapeseed will have to be grown somewhere... Never ending....!

And I also do love my cheese !
NZ had a lovely cheese I used to buy in Oz, if I remember well I think it was a to-die-for triple cream ;)
Do you have nice cheeses in Virginia ?

I don't know why, but I always assumed that most soy is produced in the US. Maybe it's because Virginia grows a lot of soybeans.

AAK, the producer of GW 415, provides this information on their website:

Through Golden Wax, AAK offers a strong portfolio of plant-based candle waxes made from sustainably sourced soy, palm, rapeseed and coconut, with quality protection by strong process controls.

Their commitment to sustainability is on the linked page. One of the bullets:
  • 100 percent verified deforestation-free and conversion-free palm and soy supply chains by 2025
I don't eat much meat, but I sure do love butter and cheese.
Beef cattle are different from dairy cattle & raised & fed differently.
I have yet to read of land in the Amazon given over to dairies. (Not that it couldn't happen, just have only seen beef feedlots mentioned).

Beef is a dicier topic than palm in the US media, giving up burgers harder to talk about than palm oil which is still regarded as the villain even tho beef outstrips it.

I don't think there is any issue with raising beef or dairy cattle in terms of deforestation at all in NZ any more (as in - it's not ongoing). The deforestation was done mostly before the 1960s. But NZ was apparently 80% forest before any settlement occured, and it is now only 37% forest. The good news is - we are now actively replanting forests, and not destroying anything further. To the best of my knowledge (and googling skills) there are no NZ companies involved in any overseas deforestation - although it was recently discovered that a certain bank's pension saving scheme was making unethical investments in overseas companies that were involved with deforestation.

I don't think there is any issue with raising beef or dairy cattle in terms of deforestation at all in NZ any more (as in - it's not ongoing). The deforestation was done mostly before the 1960s. But NZ was apparently 80% forest before any settlement occured, and it is now only 37% forest. The good news is - we are now actively replanting forests, and not destroying anything further. To the best of my knowledge (and googling skills) there are no NZ companies involved in any overseas deforestation - although it was recently discovered that a certain bank's pension saving scheme was making unethical investments in overseas companies that were involved with deforestation.
Ahhhh....Banks......😒 Not surprised at all...
NZ is way ahead of us here, in terms of eco-consciousness. We're only just waking up here ;)

Latest posts

Back