Lemon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Southernheartsoaps, I have never had much success retaining true citrus EO scents in soap. I typically use Lemongrass for a citris scent as it survives the saponification process quite well. Cedar and Lemongrass is one of my favorite EO combinations for soap.

After 24 hours the room where I have the fresh batch of Lemon Eucalyptus smells very lemony so I'm hopeful that the scent will persist. I'll keep you posted.

Jaaret said:
Southernheartsoaps, I have never had much success retaining true citrus EO scents in soap. I typically use Lemongrass for a citris scent as it survives the saponification process quite well. Cedar and Lemongrass is one of my favorite EO combinations for soap.

After 24 hours the room where I have the fresh batch of Lemon Eucalyptus smells very lemony so I'm hopeful that the scent will persist. I'll keep you posted.

I have not had any problems anchoring citrus EO's since I started adding corn starch to my soap. 1 TBS corn starch ppo does the trick, but I imagine you would have to work at fairly cool temperatures. I add the corn starch to some of my oil, add the EO and then mix this into the bulk of my oil before adding the lye.

Mandarin was the worst EO to anchor. Before using the corn starch the aroma would be completely lost, but now it holds up very nicely.

The ultimate "lemon" aroma is Litsea Cubeba (May Chang). Very concentrated and absolutely gorgeous in any soap.

MagiaDellaLuna - I agree. The lemony smel is 'softer on the nose' Thanks for the tip I will try. I have heard it's hard to keep Lime (just received from WSP and it smells awesome (one of the few) right out of the bottle) and you can't use too much - So I will try your tip :)

loveit_latherit said:
MagiaDellaLuna - I agree. The lemony smel is 'softer on the nose' Thanks for the tip I will try. I have heard it's hard to keep Lime (just received from WSP and it smells awesome (one of the few) right out of the bottle) and you can't use too much - So I will try your tip :)

Let us know how it turns out, Anna :)

I have not made any Lime/Coconut in years............it is long overdue for another batch. Lime EO with desiccated coconut for scrubbies. Delicious :)

Mmmm... lime coconut sounds yum! as far as the lemon goes I anchor my citruses with litsea cubeba, works well so far... may try the corn starch idea, sounds great... and yes keep me posted on the lemon eucalyptus... I like the sound of it! is it an essential oil? or FO? and where did you get it if I may be so bold as to ask? :lol:

What is the function of the corn starch? To anchor the EO scent? Does it improve the texture of the soap?

Eesil7we said:
What is the function of the corn starch? To anchor the EO scent? Does it improve the texture of the soap?

The corn starch anchors the citrus EO.

It also seems to add a slighty silky feel to the soap.

Thanks MagiaDellaLuna for the info! Orange soap is my next project, will add some corn starch, a tbsp ppo to give it more uumph :)

Wow! This sounds GREAT! I love citrus scents dearly and I've come up with a few blends that I adore but they don't hold up in CP. I believe I'll have to try this too. Thanks!

I know you didn't ask me...but was so excited about this, that I tried it last night with my lemon lavender blend. I didn't notice any difference in the trace, it behaved same as usual. My soap still smells yummy today, don't know how it will hold out but I can keep you posted. Thanks so much magiadellaluna for sharing this tip. :wink:

dcornett said:
I know you didn't ask me...but was so excited about this, that I tried it last night with my lemon lavender blend. I didn't notice any difference in the trace, it behaved same as usual. My soap still smells yummy today, don't know how it will hold out but I can keep you posted. Thanks so much magiadellaluna for sharing this tip. :wink:

You are most welcome. I cannot take credit for the process though as it was shared by another soaper many years ago from another group. It has never failed me.

Please do keep us posted on your results, good or bad.

loveit_latherit said:
MagiaDellaLuna do you think this works for FOs as well? Just curious :) also does this do anything to trace? Thanks so much!

I do not use many FO's, but I know that the soaper who shared this with me ALWAYS used corn starch, mainly for the silky feel it adds to the soap. I always use Tussah silk in my soap, so the added benefits of corn starch are not needed. I only use it to anchor citrus EO's.

Whipped soap is my process of choice. I have not noticed that it behaves any differently there either when adding the lye.

Thanks sooooo much for the corn starch tip! I am planning a mojito scented salt bar and I will try the starch for an anchor for the lime!

Just tried the corn starch tip with lavender and lemon EO. I used the same EOs in a batch a couple of weeks ago so I will conpare both.

Re: Lemon E.O.s

I use Lemon Myrtle E.O. in my goat milk soap. I find the lemon fragrance lasts, but be sure not to exceed 1% of your total mix as it is higher in citral than citronella. I not sure of the availability in America as it is a native product in Australia.

Have seen cornstarch posted on ingredients on different soap sites, does any one know how much to use per pounds of soap?

Cody Wellard said:
Have seen cornstarch posted on ingredients on different soap sites, does any one know how much to use per pounds of soap?

1 TBS PPO :wink:

Back