July Soapmaking Forum Challenge - Mythological Creatures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far all the ones in the entry thread are all awesome. I wish I could work with soap dough... I probably could, but the learning curve on how to carve and put it all together would be too steep to get it done in time for this challenge. (I've tried working with clay before and it's actually pretty pathetic! HA)

I am so exhausted! I haven't even made my challenge soap yet, either! I am glad to see I am not the only one who has put it off so long. 3 more days to go. I need to get on the ball! I do have the plan, and the design concept drawn up more or less, the recipe and the color choices. I just haven't chosen which mold because I am not sure how much I want to make, and obviously I haven't started yet! BUT, I did bring 4 different mold sizes downstairs & the micas & FO, so at least I've made that much progress.

I don't know how it happened, but I was sure I was posting to this thread the above paragraph, however it went to another thread. And now for some unknown reason the link for the July Challenge. Try it and see. Link to the July Challenge takes me to the thread about Navy Blue Soap now. When did this happen? Wasn't it working earlier today? Or is all this a figment of my imagination? Am I really that exhausted?

amd, you and Claire worked so well together to creat your mystical creature entry. I am sure she had a lot of fun helping with the design concept as well as with the actual hands-on creation. Great job! Please, give her my compliments.

artemis, such a great compilation of all your mystical creatures creations in one. I love the pebbles underneath and of course, your hand-painted enhancements. Grandpa Gnome is too cool!

:computerbath:All the entries posted are to die for! I love them all!

I did not want to make another dragon soap ..... I thought everyone would make a dragon soap! :p:confused:;)

Okay, not of this challenge, but here is my nod to Dragons. I made this soap just before Easter last year while in Flagstaff, AZ. I had just bought the mold and a 'flavor injector' (stainless steel syringe with wide boar needles for injecting into meat or other food), and wanted to try it out to direct soap into small intricate detailed areas of molds. So I tried them both out with this soap, which I also fragranced with Dragons Blood. Of course the DB darkened the pastels to these rich Autumnal colors.

In any case, I renamed them Dragon's Eggs in honor of the fragrance and the rich coloring. I particualarly like how the DB turned a pastel lavender into a rich jewel-toned deep purple. I was polishing them up last night to label & shrink wrap. They smell so divine! Picture includes front and backs:

full

Also finally started on my challenge soap. My concept of what I had planned changed again yesterday. I created a piece that I like, and will be doing the pre-lim work on portions of the soap's components today and hopefully put it altogether tomorrow. I have added an element I had not even planned on in my original design concept, and I am excited about this. I hope they will be ready in time for the entry thread. If not, the creation will be fun.

I've had two different ideas for this. One is just out of the mould not yet cut. I'm making the other one now ... Just waiting for my milk to melt. Hopefully one will turn out OK and I can enter it!

Well bugger, the batch I was just making went pear shaped and I cut the one I made earlier and I'm not real excited about it. Colours just didn't do what I wanted. Not sure I'll have time to re-do tonights fail. On the bright side I got a gorgeous swirl. Never mind, bath and bed time

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlene,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Two of those will never be duplicated again. Those small balls of soap... *cringing as I type this* I would have preferred to cane, but the muse wants what the muse wants. She is relentless in her need to punish me. I cant wait for the other entries. Dibble's pour is just spectacular.
Have you thought of using the soaps to make a mold? Everytime I look at them I think I would want to use them and save them at the same time. I have no idea if you can do that with a bar of soap or if the details would even come out cleanly?

The faces remind me of my dad's chess set: https://goo.gl/images/3rSJGg

SunRiseArts, I love the red you got for your doors and the mushroom tops. And the detail of the doors is incredible. So nice!

artemis, I love that chess set.

Primrose, sleep well. I do look forward to seeing your gorgeous swirl.

I've measured out and melted the hard oils. Waiting for lunch to digest so I can get back to it. Again I am fighting a desire to take a nap. I feel as though I needed sleep well last night. But I really want to make soap.

Just saw again that these are due the 27th so voting can start. I'll try my best, but wasn't planning on doing it until Saturday meaning the cut wouldn't happen until Sunday. Hope I can make it, if not I'll enter the next one.

Artemis,

I thought about it. It would work on some of the soaps, however the ones with the faces have too many undercuts. I would have to pack and re design certain areas of it. I can work on a new one with molding in mind. That would be the way to go if molding was in the works.

Sere

SunRiseArts,

Same with me. I did not want to do a dragon soap because I thought that would be the creature everyone would pick. It was one of the 3 I was thinking about. I also started a Dryad but never finished her. It is partially carved.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunRiseArts,

Same with me. I did not want to do a dragon soap because I thought that would be the creature everyone would pick. It was one of the 3 I was thinking about. I also started a Dryad but never finished her. It is partially carved.
Ya, in the end, I wanted something no one else would do, too. [emoji16] If I do a dragon, it will be the one in the video that SunRise shared and I'll use polymer clay. It kills me a little that this gnome will never get used and will probably never sit out anywhere to be enjoyed. My kids are very into dragons right now.

Last edited:
Earlene love the dragon eggs, and running to see more entries.

We should have a section in media just for the challenges, because all of them are just so inspiring!

Thank you all for the nice comments :)

Sadly no entry for me (again) this month. Both attempts did not turn out and I have run out of oils, and out of money lol so no last minute re-attempt tonight. Congratulations to the entries so far, they are fantastic

Are you going to show them to us anyway? We love all pictures here.

Yes of course I will :D just my phone was too flat to take a photo last night.

Do we know what time and time zone the entry thread closes? I may be a sucker but actually just wondering if I might have time to get an entry in after all ... but time zones confuse me

Back