I've tested this... not as fun as it seems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
Long story short, I had a bunch of different separate fo's to try out and was planning on making a few small test batches out of one big one.... I scrambled to mix everything and get them quickly into the molds. I had first mixed everything in one of those big 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and I still had one little batch in there that I was scraping out into the mold. As I scraped, the handle kept flopping forward which hindered me greatly; thus, I pulled it forward and put it in my mouth to keep it out of the way... little did I know, that a dollop of raw soap had landed on said handle. DH got a bucket of raw soap thrust at him as I rushed to the sink to rinse off my lip.

I now sit here, messing with the swollen dime-sized "patch of fun" on the inside of my lower lip. Luckily, the skin's not broken, but still....

Anyway, if anyone thinks it'll be fun to swish some raw soap around in their mouth... it's only SLIGHTLY fun. ;)

Your avatar is so fitting for this post! :lol:
In all seriousness though, I did a similar thing once when my upper lip started itching and I scratched it with the soap covered finger! So, yeah, you're not the only one...

Ugh. Ya sausage! Bet that hurts.

Off you go and buy yourself a nice, full face shield like I have now. You won't be able to put anything in your mouth then. Do you know how many times I've smashed a bottle of FO into my shield when trying to sniff it? So comfy you forget you're wearing it. :wink:

Ouch !!

Hope it heals soon.

When I first started making Whipped soap I forgot myself and licked the spatula, it looked so much like frosting.

Only ever did that ONCE !!!!

Bubbles Galore said:
Ugh. Ya sausage! Bet that hurts.

Off you go and buy yourself a nice, full face shield like I have now. You won't be able to put anything in your mouth then. Do you know how many times I've smashed a bottle of FO into my shield when trying to sniff it? So comfy you forget you're wearing it. :wink:

I use a full face shield now to protect me from myself ;)

MagiaDellaLuna said:
Ouch !!

Hope it heals soon.

When I first started making Whipped soap I forgot myself and licked the spatula, it looked so much like frosting.

Only ever did that ONCE !!!!

Ergh, yukky poo MDL. That's why I got the shield. :wink: I popped a spoonful of left over coconut cream into my mouth when soaping. Didn't even think, as I'm so used to doing that whilst cooking. Lucky it was just coconut cream but I decided not to take any chances. I have a self imposed ban on drinking anything whilst soaping too. :roll:

Similar story as to how I got my nick-name "LYE EYE :shock: ". It starts out by saying I don't wear gloves. Again, wrong thing to do. I now HAVE to wear gloves because the lye has literally caused (what seems like) incurable contact dermatitus on my hands. They crack, split, bleed, hurt, itch, etc. almost all the time now. I NOW wear gloves, but I think it's too late. :cry:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... highlight=

I don't know why I thought I was tougher than the lye.....When will I ever learn?? :roll:

jadiebugs1 said:
Similar story as to how I got my nick-name "LYE EYE :shock: ". It starts out by saying I don't wear gloves. Again, wrong thing to do. I now HAVE to wear gloves because the lye has literally caused (what seems like) incurable contact dermatitus on my hands. They crack, split, bleed, hurt, itch, etc. almost all the time now. I NOW wear gloves, but I think it's too late. :cry:

I don't know why I thought I was tougher than the lye.....When will I ever learn?? :roll:

I don't know how severe the damage is, but occasionally while I am washing up or when there is a small tear in my gloves I get that almost purple coloured scorching on my hands. I have found that cold pressed organic Rosehip oil is an almost miraculous cure for that. Within an hour or two the skin looks and feels as good as new.

Rosehip oil aids the healing process, regeneration of skin cells and collagen and prevents the formations of scar tissue, so perhaps you need to look into treating you hands with regular applications of Rosehip.

Yep, i use rosehip in my rosacea recipe, and it works a charm.

Thanks for the rosehip suggestion. I've tried everything I could think of. Peroxide/Bandaids, steriod cream (from the doctor), cleaning thoroughly then applying eucrin cream, tea tree oil.......ugh. Rosehip oil it is....

when I've burned my palms (more than once) with raw soap or not-quite-finished-soap I've found unrefined shea works wonders. but my skin was just in the super-tight-shiny stage.

MagiaDellaLuna said:
jadiebugs1 said:

I don't know how severe the damage is, but occasionally while I am washing up or when there is a small tear in my gloves I get that almost purple coloured scorching on my hands. I have found that cold pressed organic Rosehip oil is an almost miraculous cure for that. Within an hour or two the skin looks and feels as good as new.

Rosehip oil aids the healing process, regeneration of skin cells and collagen and prevents the formations of scar tissue, so perhaps you need to look into treating you hands with regular applications of Rosehip.

ever tried rosehip jam!?!?! YUMMMMM! they grow by my moms house on the beach.. I looooove them :)

lol ...yeahhhh...

I got raw soap/lye in my belly button once... Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh... that hurt/burned/itched for quite some time and was definitely the reason I know require myself to soap in shoes, longsleeve shirt, goggles.... the works... I want to buy one of those yellow chemical control suits that firefighters wear... lol then Ill be like Darth Soaper muahhahhha...

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ckkhaaaaaaaaaaaa..hhhhhhhhhhhhhh cckhaaaaaaaa....hhhhhhhhhhhh ccckkhaaaaaaa... carrrrrrrrrrebeaaaaaar.... I am youur sooooooaaaaaper.... lol

jadiebugs1 said:
Thanks for the rosehip suggestion. I've tried everything I could think of. Peroxide/Bandaids, steriod cream (from the doctor), cleaning thoroughly then applying eucrin cream, tea tree oil.......ugh. Rosehip oil it is....

Your poor hands are going to love the Rosehip oil. The added benefit is that it is so easily absorbed by your skin since it is totally natural so it should not leave your hands feeling yucky or greasy.

I also use it on the cat scratches that result from over excited kitty playtime. The scratches never become infected, heal really fast and do not leave any scars.

Let us know how it turns out if you do decide to use the Rosehip.

Magia, I'm interested to know whether you have had any feedback from people using rosehip on psoriasis, as I have a friend who has it quite bad.

To everyone else, I think I've done it all apart from the belly button....here in the UK, we don't often feel the temptation to make soap with our midrifs on show. More like, maybe I should take off the scarf before making soap :lol:

Oh goodness me. Burnt Belly Buttons. Ouch! :oops:

I think there is also some danger to skin of hands and lower arm from fumes rising and making skin contact when one is stirring caustic soda into the water. Doesn't burn as such, but dries out skin something chronic and makes you red, mottled, dry, wrinkly.

Rose Hip Oil - worth trying on a patch of Psoriasis. It may work or not. Everyone is different. I would suggest taking fish oil supplements and Evening Primrose supplements (after checking with health professional) + eating live yoghurt every day. Try the yoghurt on a patch of psoriasis as it can soothe and take away the itch as well as improving the rash. :wink:

soapqueen said:
Magia, I'm interested to know whether you have had any feedback from people using rosehip on psoriasis, as I have a friend who has it quite bad.

To everyone else, I think I've done it all apart from the belly button....here in the UK, we don't often feel the temptation to make soap with our midrifs on show. More like, maybe I should take off the scarf before making soap :lol:

Hi Soapqueen
I use Rosehip oil in my facial serum and have a hysterically loyal band of customers. My work requires that I travel quite often ( I am currently in East Africa ) so I have these anxious people stocking up on serum before I depart as they are terrified of running out of it. The results are very noticeable, improving the hydration level of the skin and reducing those nasty little fine lines around the eyes and mouth.

I have never treated anyone specifically for Psoriasis but the Rosehip oil is extremely gentle and with its regenerative properties I can only guess that it will benefit your friend.

There is also some excellent advice from Bubbles Galore.

Bubbles Galore said:
Rose Hip Oil - worth trying on a patch of Psoriasis. It may work or not. Everyone is different. I would suggest taking fish oil supplements and Evening Primrose supplements (after checking with health professional) + eating live yoghurt every day. Try the yoghurt on a patch of psoriasis as it can soothe and take away the itch as well as improving the rash. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:

I think there is also some danger to skin of hands and lower arm from fumes rising and making skin contact when one is stirring caustic soda into the water. Doesn't burn as such, but dries out skin something chronic and makes you red, mottled, dry, wrinkly.

All the more reason to wear gloves and use a loooooong handled spoon when mixing your lye. I always joke that I am assuming my "Darathy Vader" look when I mix lye. Full face shield AND the filter mask to reduce the risk of inhaling fumes as they will not do your lungs any good at all.

Bubbles Galore said:

Ooooh yoghurt!? I have never tried that before!! thats kind of cool :)

Bubbles Galore said:
Unbelievably soothing but make it Organic Yoghurt with all of the live bacteria happening. :wink:

I love that Greek style yogurt stuff :) way thicker.. I think it has the active cultures in it too...?

Latest posts

Back