Is this a member on SMF?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am going to be a "Debbie Downer." Some of the labels and descriptions are extremely rude and insulting. While soaps for Boozers, Introverts, OCD, and Plain Old Depression may sound funny, anyone that has those issues won't find them funny at all. "Bi-polar and gluten-intolerance" aren't "cool sounding afflictions" to the people that actually HAVE bi-polar disorder or celiac disease (which is the real name of the disease). BTW: Glorifying stalkers is beyond creepy; just like you. (You see what I did there? Pretty darned clever, wasn't it? But you're still freakin' stalker-creepy.) You should leave diseases, disorders and crimes off of your "funny" list and stick to things that are not insulting or hurtful to people. I know these are meant to be witty and entertaining; however, as an individual with OCD, who happens to wash my hands waaaay too much, I was not amused by the OCD soap. It is bad enough living with OCD--and knowing I am a freak--without having insensitive people poke fun at my disorder. And make a profit off of it.

Teresa, I have some of the stuff on that list, not sure if it always fits neatly in the boxes. Ie; have anxiety disorder which sometimes shades into depression (have been on anxiety meds for a hundred years), tend towards introversion/isolation at certain times, am a recovering alcoholic. OK, TMI, but I am actually pretty up-front with this stuff, being embarrassed/ashamed of it doesn't really help IRL (except in job interviews :). Just not much reason to discuss it here, usually.

I still think the descriptions are really funny and God knows I appreciate the laughs. Also, this is pretty much their entire thing, you know. They are clearly not trying to be PC or sensitive, just to be funny. And it works on those terms. Obviously there are lines which if crossed would not be - ie; racial/homophobic, etc. ones - but they are not doing that.

I'm sorry it makes you feel bad, though :(

Having butted up against a number of these things personally, professionally, casually and very intimately, I still find the soaps extremely funny. I have to have humor in my life and count on it a lot to maintain sanity. I understand that someone could take offense but I don't think this company intends to offend and is meaning for their soaps to be taken tongue in cheek.

I think the intention is not to give the soap to someone who actually has the disorder listed. For example, the soap for boozers would be a great gift for someone on their 21st birthday. Giving it to an alcoholic would be insensitive and wrong. I think theyre all funny and I don't think the goal is to insult any one group.

Lol, I don't know Teresa, I to like I'm sure many here, we're bipolar or depressed at a time, and I actually used to think things like these soaps labels were quite funny. (Looking at the funny side of the dark side I guess)

Maybe they have these things to and this is their way of dealing with it to (clue? The unemployed soap), which is brilliant.
However, I think you have a right to your differing opinion and I completely respect it at that to.

Collectively, I think all of us at WRS embody everything we're making light of. Including celiac disease and a whole host of neuroses. Sorry if we offended anyone, but our intent is to use laughter as medicine and enjoy life no matter what ails you.

Thanks to all of you who get and enjoy the laughs!

-Whiskey River Soap

As a YEARS long sufferer of Bi-polarism, anxiety, and BPD, I find no offense tho these whatsoever. My mental illness hit me in my early 20's and I'm 43 now, on meds and living la vida loca as well as I can. I love those labels, find humor in them and think they're very witty, but that's just me. I can't speak for anyone else and wouldn't want to. I personally think that those of us who suffer from such things need to find humor in our disorders to help pull ourselves out from the darkness. Case in point... my young son has autism and I bought him a shirt that has a colorful bird on it that says "When I'm Happy, I'm Flappy". The flappy reference is to what some autistics do called stimming. And he literally jumps around the room flapping his hands and arms whenever something makes him happy or excited. To some the shirt is taking a stimming behavior and seeing the humor in it, and of course, I've come across some parents of autistic kids who bashed me for making fun of a disorder. You can't please everyone, and some things will offend. I like to find the humor in things and roll with the punches rather than roll around in the negative darkness. I certainly respect other's opinions however and can't change the way they feel about something. Those soaps are sold as novelty items and they perfectly fit the bill and I think they're brilliant.

I wish WRS responded to some of the comments about labeling. Say something, like we think they are sufficient or that we are working on it, etc. instead of evading them.

Not being a seller, I don't see the issues with the labels except there is no weight. Can anyone elaborate for those of us who aren't label savvy?

Boy, did I hit a nerve! Geesh! Actually, the biggest nerve I hit was my own, because I couldn't understand why I was being sensitive over these. (Uh, :crazy: maybe?) Anyone/everyone that knows me knows I have the most irreverent sense of humor on the planet and poke fun at everyone and everything. So why was the soap bothering me so much? Because, apparently, when I do not take my "happy" pills for several days in a row, I fail to see the humor in anything that remotely affects me in any way. Sorry, y'all; drugs now on board. :oops:

Not being a seller, I don't see the issues with the labels except there is no weight. Can anyone elaborate for those of us who aren't label savvy?

Not seeing the entire package all I can see that's wrong is the weight. You would need to move your "Handmade Soap" up 2x the letter N. Add in "nt wt 4.5oz / 127g and your front panel looks good to go.

Required information if you label your soap
On the PDP (Principal Display Panel = front of package)
  • Name of product = Black Sheep
  • Identity of product = Soap
  • Unsubstantiated safety warnings (if needed)
  • Weight (net weight or net wt) = placement has to be the bottom 30% of primary display INCLUDING the soap hanging down below. Don't use words like approximately, when packed, instead label all your soaps at the lowest possible weight after a good cure. For font size on your weight you need to figure out your PDP sq inch. If it's under 5 sq inches 1/16" font type, 5-25 sq inch 1/8" font, 25-100 sq inch 3/16" (that's a huge bar of soap!). The font size is based on the lower case o, so 1/8" lower case o and it needs to be in bold. One last thing on the weight - you will need a gap between your weight and the words above. The gap needs to be 2x the width of the letter N for the font used in the weight statement.
On the sides/top or back pannels
  • Directions for safe use
  • Warnings (if needed)
  • Name and place of business
  • Ingredient declaration. If you follow cosmetic ingredient labeling you can then make cosmetic claims like moisturizing.

This is all I have time for right now, hopefully this helps someone. Below are some references for more guidance. Although I personally disagree with these laws I follow them. I'd rather do things right and not be harassed by big brother than receive letters or a knock on the door.

*This applies to the USA*

Some good resources:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Cosmetics/Labeling/UCM391202.pdf
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceRegulation/LawsRegulations/ucm074201.htm
http://www.mariegale.com/soap-and-cosmetic-labeling/labeling-faq.html

Last edited:
Really, really useful to a lot of people, I bet, Earthen Step. I just gift, so only include ingredients, but if I sold and was worried about labeling I would love you right now! Very kind of you to take the time to write all this.

ETA: I tried to add tags to this b/c I thought it might help folks find your post in future searches, not sure if it worked, though.

Last edited:
As a YEARS long sufferer of Bi-polarism, anxiety, and BPD, I find no offense tho these whatsoever. My mental illness hit me in my early 20's and I'm 43 now, on meds and living la vida loca as well as I can. I love those labels, find humor in them and think they're very witty, but that's just me. I can't speak for anyone else and wouldn't want to. I personally think that those of us who suffer from such things need to find humor in our disorders to help pull ourselves out from the darkness. Case in point... my young son has autism and I bought him a shirt that has a colorful bird on it that says "When I'm Happy, I'm Flappy". The flappy reference is to what some autistics do called stimming. And he literally jumps around the room flapping his hands and arms whenever something makes him happy or excited. To some the shirt is taking a stimming behavior and seeing the humor in it, and of course, I've come across some parents of autistic kids who bashed me for making fun of a disorder. You can't please everyone, and some things will offend. I like to find the humor in things and roll with the punches rather than roll around in the negative darkness. I certainly respect other's opinions however and can't change the way they feel about something. Those soaps are sold as novelty items and they perfectly fit the bill and I think they're brilliant.

Soapmage, it's nice to know that other parents also try to help their children see humor in what might otherwise embarrass them. My little man has PDD-NOS (I say mild autism). He's totally verbal but can perseverate like a mad man. Sometimes when he starts ramping up you can see his anxiety and frustration, we try to diffuse with humor so we can then redirect him.

Latest posts

Back