Labeling Soap Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie01

Reaction score
I was wondering what I should call M&P soap ingredients when I put them on a label? I purchased from BrambleBerry and looked at the ingredients in the soap, but theres so many ingredients, I'm not sure how I'd even fit those on a label. I'm new to this and the labeling thing is making me feel overwhelmed.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but in my opinion, you need to list them all. After all, the point of listing the ingredients is so people know what they are getting, and if you're selling, and I get the impression that's what you are asking about, any other labeling could be deceptive. The only other option is to put "Melt and Pour base" but that doesn't really say anything to the average person.

If you're new to soaping, even MP, don't fret too much about labeling right now. I didn't start properly labeling until I started selling. If someone I gifted a bar to asked for ingredients, I'd just tell 'em.

But to answer your question broadly... if it's in the soap, put it on your label. If you're using a soap base, use the ingredients list provided by the supplier plus any additional fragrance/colorant you add.

For example the BB Goat Milk MP is:
  • Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Goat Milk, Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Oleate, Oat Protein, Titanium Dioxide
You'd put all of that on the label.

I have seen people put "Goats Milk Soap Base" or something similar to that, but I personally don't like that. Especially knowing that some MP bases are detergent free and some MP bases have detergents in them. It's better to be honest so customers can make a conscious decision.

If you're new to soaping, even MP, don't fret too much about labeling right now. I didn't start properly labeling until I started selling. If someone I gifted a bar to asked for ingredients, I'd just tell 'em.

But to answer your question broadly... if it's in the soap, put it on your label. If you're using a soap base, use the ingredients list provided by the supplier plus any additional fragrance/colorant you add.

For example the BB Goat Milk MP is:
  • Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Goat Milk, Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Oleate, Oat Protein, Titanium Dioxide
You'd put all of that on the label.

I have seen people put "Goats Milk Soap Base" or something similar to that, but I personally don't like that. Especially knowing that some MP bases are detergent free and some MP bases have detergents in them. It's better to be honest so customers can make a conscious decision.
Thank You. That's how I was thinking to do it, but I was stressing over the amount of ingredients. I did get it all to fit neatly on a label. I know ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order of how much is used from greatest to least. I'm assuming BB does that when they list the ingredients of each product.

we use WSPs Detergent free MP base , so we label ours as Bar Soap - Sulfate Free Goat Milk Bar soap, Honey Bar Soap , etc
and list all the ingredients including any additives/fragrance you may add. we follow the order WSP has their ingredients listed. WSP also has a Q and A section where people can ask where they would list additives or fragrances to their soap. I'm sure BB has something similar or would answer your questions via email.

Thank You. That's how I was thinking to do it, but I was stressing over the amount of ingredients. I did get it all to fit neatly on a label. I know ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order of how much is used from greatest to least. I'm assuming BB does that when they list the ingredients of each product.
BB lists their ingredients in order of amount, so you don't have to stress that. If you are ever unsure, simply email them and ask.

I picked up some of their African Black Soap Quick Mix, that's going to be a long label and I plan to make two test batches and will be adding some colorant to one and colorant and scent to the other.

Back