Is 2.6% FO enough?

Discussion in 'Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews' started by chibi-soap, Dec 22, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 22, 2017 #1

chibi-soap

chibi-soap

chibi-soap

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the brambleberry top 10 sampler kit which contains 10ml of each scent. My mold holds 345g of oil. If FO is about 8.88g/ml (i.e. 8.88g per sample bottle) then that works out at 2.6% FO in a batch.

Is that enough? It's less than the brambleberry calculator says for light scent, but I think I've seen people using as little as 2% in recipes.

thanks
    chibi

2. Dec 23, 2017 #2

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

It depends on the fo. I use very strong ones at 3% and most others at 5% (unless ifra requires to be lower). If you are using a strong fo, you could end up with a light scent. You probably won't smell lighter scents at that rate tho.

Do you have individual molds you could use? If you make a batch to fit that mold then split, you could use 1 sample in each half at the recommended rate. Pour them in individual molds or yogurt cups (or any other small container with a 2 or 5 recycling code) instead of making a loaf.

CaraBou and SunRiseArts like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2017 #3

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I’ve found very few that stick at less than 5%. I generally use 6% unless it’s really strong. I won’t purchase an oil that has a really low usage rate. It’s certainly personal preference. I like stronger scents and so do my customers. If they can’t smell it they won’t buy it.

4. Dec 23, 2017 #4

CaraBou

CaraBou

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter

Take mx6inpenn's advice, and makeshift two small molds if you have to. Make a batch, split it, and scent each with its own bottle. One could be a loaf mold that you only fill to the thickness of a bar (1/2 - 1"). Make sure you know which mold has which FO lol.

5. Dec 23, 2017 #5

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Same here

Lion Of Judah likes this.
  6. Dec 23, 2017 #6

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

To make matters worse, ml does not always equal grams. Depending on the specific gravity of the fo, you might be looking at even less than 2.6%, which wouldn't be enough to test some scents properly.

Lion Of Judah and NsMar42111 like this.
  7. Dec 26, 2017 #7

chibi-soap

chibi-soap

chibi-soap

Thanks everyone. So the consensus is "no".

Using my guestimate of .88g/ml for FOs I've been using 4% EO in my soaps, just because that works out to be 15ml (or 1 tbsp) of oil and that seems to be pretty good. A bit strong for peppermint, a bit weak for lavender. So I think I'll try 4% FO and see how that goes.

8. Dec 27, 2017 #8

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

You really need to consider weighing your FO's/EO's by weight in grams. The way you are measuring is not accurate.

9. Dec 27, 2017 #9

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

If you can’t smell the FO in the tester it will be a complete waste of money. Far better to make a really thin soap and have the FO at least 6% for a sensible test of an FO.

10. Jan 10, 2018 #10

bountifulsoaps

bountifulsoaps

bountifulsoaps

Looking at BB is that amount for batter or just oils. Getting so confused on that. I've always used .7 per oils on eos but just recently been looking at fragrances because the cost in the soap.

11. Jan 10, 2018 #11

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

BB I think counts oils and water, vs some other calculators that count only oils. I think our "standard" recommendation is 7% per weight of oils.

12. Jan 12, 2018 #12

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Ha! Yesterday I messaged Shari (shunt) about how much FO to use... I guess I hadn't gotten far enough back in the forum to hit this one. I had been using 2% (of total batch weight), which was probably fine when I was making 2lb oil batches and selling out every month. I increased my batch size and production schedule to make 4lb oil batches twice, so that some of my regular soaps I only have to make once or twice a year. I noticed towards the end of 2017 that soaps made towards the beginning of the year had very little to no smell left, and had a few customers reach out to me that their soaps don't smell. Last night's batch of Nag Champa, I bumped up to 3% and only made one batch instead of two.

I'm still considering going up further in %, but slightly hesitant. My thinking is based on my personal preference - I don't like scents such as deoderant, perfume, scented lotions, etc - so I have made soaps in mind with people who may use scents. Do they want their perfume clashing with any leftover soap scent? I could be overthinking this, and openly admit that my favorite bar of soap is an unscented aloe bar, although the Nag Champa is my favorite scented. With that in mind, I'm considering running a small experiment using 1lb oil batches and increasing the FO by 1% in each batch, holding them for 6 months, and see how the fragrance wears at each %. If I do that with the Nag Champa, at least I won't mind having those extra bars around :)

shunt2011 likes this.
  13. Jan 12, 2018 #13

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

One thing I've found is that many, many fragrances, even at 6% don't stick to the skin for long. There are some exceptions of course, stronger scents (mostly men's). So, I don't personally think there's a lot of risk of it clashing with perfumes, body sprays etc...... It would certainly depend on the scent of course.

14. Jan 12, 2018 #14

Lifetime Supporter

Nag champa sticks, in my experience. I smelled like a hippy just from washing my hands

15. Jan 12, 2018 #15

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

In my experience, dragon's blood, or anything with patch sticks around, both in the bar and on the skin.

16. Jan 14, 2018 #16

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

My Nag Champa was one that was returned with no scent at 9 months old , so it makes sense to try it. I have a few others on the list as well but not as much FO in stock as the Nag Champa.