I'm stuck on the math!!! Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Reaction score
I got my supplies months ago and am ashamed to say I still haven't made my shampoo bars! I finally calculated the volume and amount of oils my mold holds. It's 53 oz/1502g (it's a silicone bread mold). It sounds like a lot, could that be right?

Also, does that volume calculation (l x w x h x.4) take into account the water and lye? Or will my mold be overflowing?

And, if I cut the bars and they seem to big or high, I can cut them in half or whatever shape or size I want, right? They're just for washing my hair (or giving away or using as soap if I don't like it for my hair!).

it only takes into account oils. and that's 3.5# which seems a lot for a bread pan. but I don't know for sure. I'd think closer to 2# oils, but it's just a guess!

what are the dimensions of the pan?

and remember, you needn't fill it to the brim! measure how HIGH you want the bars to be!

The dimensions are written on the bread mold and are 9.25x5.25x2.75 inches. Do you think I did the math wrong? Also, I could figure out which one is the height and then figure out what I want the height to be and put that in instead.

figuring soap for a loaf molc

Ives…..
Your loaf mold is 9.25x5.25x2.75 inches. Length x Width x Height = 133.54 cu. inches.
Take 133.54 cu. inches times 40% (133.54 x .40) …that equals 53.42 Total ounces of oil for you soap. SoapCalc uses 38% water as a % of oils. YES…this takes into account the total amount of lye water (lye + water) that you will add to make your soap.

From here just figure the amount of each oil your going to use in % of each which will total 53.42 total ounces (use SoapCalc). When your finished mixing your soap there should be enough to fill your loaf mold. (using the 38% water as a % of oils that SoapCalc. Suggests).
If you use less water then you will be a little shy on filling the loaf mold fully. If you use more water, you may have a little more than the mold holds. I wouldn’t recommend doing that because of shrinkage, but since your going to use these just for shampoo bars I guess it wouldn’t matter. You can cut your bars any thickness you want for handling convenience after your ready to un-mold.
I hope I haven’t confused you…
Jerry S

Latest posts

Back