Using a Lye Calculator or Math for a Salt Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm preparing to make by first salt bars. When I go to a lye calculator to enter my recipe, I don't see anywhere to enter the large amount of salt I will be adding (60% of oil weight). I understand that the addition of salt does not change the amount of lye needed. But by adding salt I'm greatly increasing the volume. I need a total soap batter of 500g for the mold I have so how do I figure this out? Sounds like this is a math thing rather than calculator. Thanks for any help on this.

In SoapmakingFriend, you can enter the salt under Additives, and select to calculate it as a percentage of the oils. However, you are correct in that this only calculates the amount of salt, and does not give you any information about what that does to the volume of the batter.

I am not aware of any calculator that will perform that function, probably because the volume will vary significantly depending on the grind (fine, medium, coarse) and type of the salt that you may use.

Latest posts

Back