I have a question... (shaving bowls)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
So I bought some wood shaving bowls to make some shaving soap as gifts. Here's what I'm wondering. Do you think I can pour the soap right into the decorative bowls (which are stained and varnished in some way, FYI) and wrap them like I would in a regular wood mold? I was gonna do it this way, and then make a "refill" round soap in a PVC pipe. Does anyone see a problem doing this or should I make all of them in the PVC pipe and just pop one in the bowl with the lid on?

Am I making any sense? lol.

I have some of those shaving bowls, but I haven't poured the soap directly into them. I know that Paul (the old goat), poured his directly into the bowls. There is a thread with a picture on the forum somewhere. If you have the same ones I have a pvc slice is a little tall for the bowl to make the lid fit. I got mine from Pendergrass.

I think it's a cool idea, and you can make it work. I would not, however, let the raw soap mixture come in contact with the soap bowl itself...I'd find a way to line it first, then, one your soap has set up, and cured for a good 2-3 weeks, I'd plunk it back into the bowl. You could basically make your refills by relining the same soap bowl, and making more soaps using the lined bowl as your mold.

I'm wondering if it would work to line your soap bowl mold with a heavy black trash bag, smoothing out the inside as much as possible, and then pouring your raw soap mixture inside...

mamaT said:
I have some of those shaving bowls, but I haven't poured the soap directly into them. I know that Paul (the old goat), poured his directly into the bowls. There is a thread with a picture on the forum somewhere. If you have the same ones I have a pvc slice is a little tall for the bowl to make the lid fit. I got mine from Pendergrass.

I got mine there too, mamaT. Thanks for the tip about the thread. I'm gonna go try to find it. :)

Latest posts

Back