Hypothetical Questions for Sellers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know people balk at those high booth fees if you are selling soap for $6 a bar, but I wonder if that could be an advantage? We went to Kentuck, which is a huge craft show. Huge enough that visitors are charged an entry fee and they had a shuttle from the parking area. I bought maybe one thing b/c everything was so expensive! I feel like somebody selling small things like soap could REALLY clean up (lol pun intended), b/c people have traveled a ways and have paid to get in, and they want to buy SOMETHING and after looking at $100 baskets and $500 paintings and $1000 handmade quilts, your $6 bar of soap looks totally reasonable. And you might be the only soap seller there (the list of vendors/artists doesn't list a soaper). (Kentuck is a juried show, though, so maybe a soaper couldn't get in.)

Just some thoughts.

I do think that would not be my FIRST show, of course, unless I was totally okay with a) losing that money and b) having a whole bunch of left over product.

I know people balk at those high booth fees if you are selling soap for $6 a bar, but I wonder if that could be an advantage? We went to Kentuck, which is a huge craft show. Huge enough that visitors are charged an entry fee and they had a shuttle from the parking area. I bought maybe one thing b/c everything was so expensive! I feel like somebody selling small things like soap could REALLY clean up (lol pun intended), b/c people have traveled a ways and have paid to get in, and they want to buy SOMETHING and after looking at $100 baskets and $500 paintings and $1000 handmade quilts, your $6 bar of soap looks totally reasonable. And you might be the only soap seller there (the list of vendors/artists doesn't list a soaper). (Kentuck is a juried show, though, so maybe a soaper couldn't get in.)

Just some thoughts.

I do think that would not be my FIRST show, of course, unless I was totally okay with a) losing that money and b) having a whole bunch of left over product.

This is another GREAT point. Some of these festivals, people are paying as much as $4.50 for a bottle water and $14 for one beer!! And not special beer/water. Just beer in a plain white plastic cup or an Aquafina. What's $6 for a bar of soap that is going to last a long time. Especially when the soaps are shaped or scented or themed in some way to represent what is being celebrated at the festival. I am far more likely to buy something I can use longer than the time it takes to drink a bottled water or a beer. I used to sell hot dogs for $4.00 each and everyone kept telling me I was cutting my own throat, but it was really hard for me to charge that, even for a Nathan's hog dog with free homemade chili and cheese.

If you were to do the pig show I would be making lard soaps as that would also celebrate the pig.

I do shows that are $100 a day and do well with them...

Exactly! I can't imagine getting the run out on a rail reaction to soap made with lard at a place that sells you fresh pork rinds...and by fresh, I mean they are dropping that pig skin in oil right in front of you and you have to wait for them to cool before you can walk off with your bag and that stand has a line a mile long all day!

Exactly! I can't imagine getting the run out on a rail reaction to soap made with lard at a place that sells you fresh pork rinds...and by fresh, I mean they are dropping that pig skin in oil right in front of you and you have to wait for them to cool before you can walk off with your bag and that stand has a line a mile long all day!

In my head, I'm running in slow motion through a field toward that stand.

There is NOTHING like fresh pork rinds!

(Totally OT - a lot of Atkins recipes using pork rinds as a bread-crumb substitute. Awesome in Salisbury steak. Not awesome as fried green tomato batter.)

In my head, I'm running in slow motion through a field toward that stand.

With this playing in the background; [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7Vu7cqB20[/ame]

Thanks for the insight about festival booths. I'm just getting started, and although I won't be up for selling in booths for a few months, I like to know what to expect.

Back