How much natural it is?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
Hi all! I have just seen some handmade soap with ingredients like: linalool, limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate and other INCI names of carrier oils like normal handmade natural soap. What are these and are they considered natural? I rarely see handmade natural soapers on Etsy include them, but this recipe is from natural handmade soap company in Europe.
Thanks.
:lol:

Linalool & limonene are constituents that come from essential oils like citrus. It seems the word "natural" has lost its meaning. I noticed the other day a brand name lotion calling itself natural. I looked at the ingredient list and there's not much "natural" in there at all.

I believe that these are all from natural sources however you may want to check them out further because just because something is natural doesn't mean that it is good for you. Arsenic is a natural substance. If you Google these items you will find a lot of information and if you have allergies you may want to look to see if they can cause allergic reactions. This being said, I believe (but not sure) that they are all safe.

Br Nicholas

Fragrances in "natural" soap are often artificial.

Which is also matter of perspective. Everything ultimately comes from the nature. My personal definition is a substance which is usually and historically part of our environment.

Of course, by that definition soap itself isn't really natural. So we'll have different degrees of "naturalness".

But you can't have soap without soap, while you can have soap without additives.

So, when those ingredients are listed, it is not because they are in some EO that included in the soap but constituents extracted from those EO?

If you sell soap in Europe, you have to list all of the allergens separately in the ingredients. So my guess would be that these are simply part of the essential or fragrance oil :roll:

Those ingredients are listed, because they are part of an artificial fragrance oil.

The natural essential oils (e.g. citrus) contain much more "ingredients", maybe 30-40. But I never seen them listed as such.

Same as vegetable oils, you never see olive or corn oil listed by their constituents.

Starum said:
Those ingredients are listed, because they are part of an artificial fragrance oil.

The natural essential oils (e.g. citrus) contain much more "ingredients", maybe 30-40. But I never seen them listed as such.

Same as vegetable oils, you never see olive or corn oil listed by their constituents.

NO. That is incorrect.

Those elements must be listed no matter the source. Whether found in the FO or the EO, in Europe they must be called out. It has nothing to do with in what they are found. As stated above, they are common allergens.

Latest posts

Back