Ugly soaps: how to improve ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fofekow

Reaction score
Hello, I started in my soap making journey recently, but my soaps does not look good (esthetically). That is OK so far, since I am starting.

The problem is that my last batch (number 1 in the image below) is in another level of ugly soap. I am doing something very wrong, and I cannot figure out what it is.

Please, could you help me to understand what is going on with my soaps, and how can I do a decent-looking simple white soap, and not those cheese-like soaps ????

By the way, is the number 1 usable or should I toss it ? It does not smell bad.
1705448111755.png

1705448148059.png

Recipe 1 (2:1 water:lye, I used pure soy wax (GB 415))
1705448421787.png

Recipe 2 (2:1 water:lye)
1705448348058.png

Recipe 3 (2.5:1 water:lye)
1705448279168.png

Thanks!

Is this hot process or cold process?
Was there anything else in the recipe (milks, fragrances, honey)?
How hot was everything?
Hello artemis,

It is cold process. I used different fragances in all recipes:
1. "tahiti vanilla"
2. "black raspberry vanilla"
3. "coconut island"

About the temperature, I did not measure, but I mixed the water/lye around 40 minutes before starting. The oils were warm-to-room temperature, I used the microwave to liquify all the solids.

The only thing I will tell you is that soap #3 might be a little more cleansing than you would like, if it was palm kernel oil that you used and not palm. All look fine otherwise and should be fine after curing. Keep in mind for the future that vanilla and coconut scents tend to discolor soap. You would have to plan accordingly if you want a light bar of soap.

Latest posts

Back