Holiday gift quandries

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I know a gift is just to be received and thank the giver but for the love of little green dragons, why do people buy soap makers gifts of soap?!
And it's not like they don't know that I'm a soap maker. The holiday gifts have started and some family friends who have known me since I was born and some other people who have actually BOUGHT soap from my website, got me gifts of soap, bath bombs, lotions, and candles. All of which I actually make and sell. In fact I put together a nice holiday basket of wares from my stock a mix of soap, lotion bars, candles, shower steamers, bath bombs and wax melts for these very people in their favorites scents and colors. In return I got bath and body works stuff and some off brand bath bombs (which btw I don't even have a bath tub and they are quite well aware as they have seen my house).

I don't expect gifts and really don't even need anything but sometimes I wish that people would put at least a bit of thought when they are buying gifts for those who craft.
SIGH!

Ok so I know a gift is just to be received and thank the giver but for the love of little green dragons, why do people buy soap makers gifts of soap?!
And it's not like they don't know that I'm a soap maker. The holiday gifts have started and some family friends who have known me since I was born and some other people who have actually BOUGHT soap from my website, got me gifts of soap, bath bombs, lotions, and candles. All of which I actually make and sell. In fact I put together a nice holiday basket of wares from my stock a mix of soap, lotion bars, candles, shower steamers, bath bombs and wax melts for these very people in their favorites scents and colors. In return I got bath and body works stuff and some off brand bath bombs (which btw I don't even have a bath tub and they are quite well aware as they have seen my house).

I don't expect gifts and really don't even need anything but sometimes I wish that people would put at least a bit of thought when they are buying gifts for those who craft.
SIGH!
Have you ever considered that they buy them for you so YOU don’t to make it for yourself?

In return I got bath and body works stuff and some off brand bath bombs (which btw I don't even have a bath tub and they are quite well aware as they have seen my house).
That is incredibly lame. I generally don't advocate being ungrateful :))) but in this case it may be justified! My niece gave me a very fancy bath bomb (which I will never use) for my birthday, but she is only 12, so she gets a pass.

Have you ever considered that they buy them for you so YOU don’t to make it for yourself?
Considering they've seen the racks and boxes full of my inventory I don't think that really holds water. I just think they just choose the standard "I don't know what to get you gift" to be honest.

I think, for whatever reason, they must feel you would enjoy those items. It's unfortunate that they don't choose to buy them from another maker though, because it is actually fun to try other people's soaps - at least I think so. If you don't want to use them yourself, I would donate them.

I just can't tell someone I don't like or want their gift. My FIL buys me a gift card to a store I really don't care for every year. I can find something to use it for eventually, but I would honestly prefer a gift card for Target or my local grocery store. There is no way I will tell him that. He is almost 90 and also gets a pass. Mr. Dibbles told me he wanted to tell FIL that he didn't have to buy anything, but he clearly gets very excited about Christmas and having something for everyone to open. I told him not to take that away from his dad - I think he'd be crushed.

I think, for whatever reason, they must feel you would enjoy those items. It's unfortunate that they don't choose to buy them from another maker though, because it is actually fun to try other people's soaps - at least I think so. If you don't want to use them yourself, I would donate them.

I just can't tell someone I don't like or want their gift. My FIL buys me a gift card to a store I really don't care for every year. I can find something to use it for eventually, but I would honestly prefer a gift card for Target or my local grocery store. There is no way I will tell him that. He is almost 90 and also gets a pass. Mr. Dibbles told me he wanted to tell FIL that he didn't have to buy anything, but he clearly gets very excited about Christmas and having something for everyone to open. I told him not to take that away from his dad - I think he'd be crushed.
I don't say anything to them. I just thank them and then usually donate what I'm given to the local shelter. I only rant to myself and here. ;-)

I don't say anything to them. I just thank them and then usually donate what I'm given to the local shelter. I only rant to myself and here. ;-)
Here's something that might help you chuckle about it. Years ago we had new kittens one autumn and they adored the Christmas tree and the packages under it. As the family unwrapped their presents, the kittens pounced on the ribbons and ran them back under the tree-- all of them.
They *knew* ribbons belonged with their adored tree.

Maybe our goofy relatives see soapy things while shopping and, like kittens, just know that stuff belongs with us.

I, too, am often gifted soaps and bath fizzies. I figure it's the above reason.

And, as mentioned before, it's sort of the default gift for women to give other women for some reason. That, and candles.

Church women's gift exchange yesterday: the top three gifts, in order of amount given were candles, BB items, Christmas kitchen towels.

I just can't tell someone I don't like or want their gift. .

Normally I am the same way, but I will admit to being a bit passive-aggressive with my husband one year. This was before we got married and going through some bad times and he bought me a bunch of DVDs that obviously came from the 99cent bin at WalMart. I didn't say anything...I just regifted them to his son. Then when he got mad at me for giving his son such a crappy gift, I just looked at him and said, "Since you thought they were good enough to give to me, surely they are good enough to give to your son?" Touché.

Latest posts

Back