Gifted soaps. Are they being used?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone ☺
Here I am thinking to make soaps to gift for Christmas.
But I have this in my head. Are my gifted soaps being used?
I have gifted some soaps in the pasts and most people don't really make any comments about the soaps I had given them.
So does that mean that they weren't used?
What do you think 🤔? Should I go back to making cookies?
Thank you! Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

HI @Lidiacgarcia

I have had the same issue with gifting soap. I ended up asking people directly whether they wanted more soap, or something else. Some were honest and admitted that they didn't use it, either because it was "too pretty to use," or they prefer liquid bodywash, or they have a favorite scent, etc.

Since then, I've found that the people to whom I give gifts are more likely to use sugar scrubs, bath bombs, lotion bars, lotions, or lip balms. But again, scent is a big deal because everyone likes different smells. Citrus scents seems to be the most universally accepted by the majority of my users; they are more sharply divided over bakery, floral, musk, and the like. It seems to me that customizing the scent (of whatever product you make) to match each specific recipient's taste is the key to getting them to use it.

I hope that gives you helpful ideas for some lovely, inexpensive, and handcrafted gifts that might work for you. :)

Are my gifted soaps being used?
Maybe. Maybe not. I've found most people prefer liquid soap vs a bar in the shower.
I have gifted some soaps in the pasts and most people don't really make any comments about the soaps I had given them.
One way to work around the problem is to ask the giftee for feedback. I can't remember who it was but one member created a questionnaire along with the soap to garner information.

ETA: @AliOop and I posted at the same time. DITTO on her advice for gifts that get used. To that list I would add for men, shaving soap, aftershave, beard oil, cuticle balm.
likely to use sugar scrubs, bath bombs, lotion bars, lotions, or lip balms.

Last edited:
I have made soap and/or candles the last few years which hubby likes to gift to neighbors, friends, and family. Honestly, I don't care if they are being used. I know they are good soaps,
and since I don't sell, it gives me a chance to make soap and not have it accumulate around the house. :) We usually give about 3 bars per gift, which, when you think about it, would have a monetary value of around $20+/-, which is a nice gift for a casual acquaintance or co-worker. I make at least six batches of 10 bars each, package them and label them, which will gift 20 people. We started this during the pandemic. Hubby put on his Santa hat and mask (earning him the nickname "Covid Claus") and took gift bags of soap to all our neighbors.

I have gotten some very positive feedback from a few neighbors, but I usually don't hear anything from hubby's co-workers. I've never been a fan of giving OR receiving cookies
anyway. I don't eat them usually, and so many people have such varied dietary restrictions, it can be like a minefield. But almost everyone uses soap of one kind or another.....

Hubby put on his Santa hat and mask (earning him the nickname "Covid Claus") and took gift bags of soap to all our neighbors.
Smack Laugh.gif
Thanks for the laugh! Too funny!

Maybe. Maybe not. I've found most people prefer liquid soap vs a bar in the shower
I noticed that too, just find it adds up a lot to the costs getting the empty bottles and labels.
Maybe I should look up more options instead of Amazon
The other thing is that I started making soap to reduce waste, so I'd feel really bad bad buying plastic bottles

Thank you everyone for your feedback 😊
I guess it comes down to your gesture and thoughtfulness when you give something to someone.
If they will like it, use it eat it it's a different subject

Thank you!
I'll make liquid soap 😁
Found these mason jar lids that can be reused

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-123619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-123619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 0
All my coworkers and friends know soap is coming their way for the holidays this year. They have been terrific “testers” and many have done my surveymonkey to give me honest feedback. I made a QR code that is on a little card I insert in my packaging of each bar. I tried to make my survey fun and entertaining, I’ve even gotten comments that they liked the survey, and it sounds like me asking the questions.
Here’s an example of my humor and fun in my survey - second to last last question, before “leave you name and email to enter a raffle for a free bar”…. Q. 9: How’s it taste? Just kidding - this isn’t A Christmas Story and you aren’t Ralphie….. Any other thoughts or feedback? 😂🤣😂
I have had to encourage people to use the soap, this “it’s too pretty” stuff has got to stop, LOL. My worse offender is my Mom! I do think she’ll use the last bar she got, because she came into my soap room (haha, guest room, now official soap room) and picked it out herself. 🌸

I’ll still make cookies this year, too, though. I think the office team would freak out if they didn’t get baked goods. 🌸

970287E4-5591-4109-ADC4-6AC180A0C8C6.jpeg

I asked people how they like my gifted soap. Same story as elsewhere: some liked it and some didn't use it, either because it was "too pretty to use," or they prefered liquid soap. I try to persuade them my soap bars are not intended as a decoration of their home nor a scent for their wardrobe but for cleaning their skin.

I don't ask for feedback from giftees (unless I'm trialling a new recipe), but I do ask if they need more before I gift the next lot. I usually get some sort of feedback with the answer to this question.

In the last round of gifting, one of my giftee's told me that they had too much soap (their partner wanted a regular supply, so I've been dropping off more than usual) ... and they told me that the soap was piling up and they had given one of the soaps to a friend of theirs to try.

The friend happens to be a fellow soapmaker, who runs a soap stall at one of the local farmers markets ... a message came back from the soaper (via the giftee) requesting the recipe ... (that one is going in the positive feedback collection 😅)

I simply never gifted soaps. I did, however, take a basket of soaps, lotions, etc to the family's Easter and Christmas party every year and set it out so guests could take what they wanted. Ironically my family looked forward to it every Easter and Christmas but never bought any from me. They just waited for the handout...

I saved my gifting for my customers who appreciated it. :D

A lot of folks these days use body wash in the bath and liquid soap at the sink; I did the same until I started making soap.

Last year I decided to do bath salts, soap and lotion bars, but only for close friends and family since I knew they would be honest with me about what they did or did not like.

My Mum (82) still has a duck shaped soap that I remember as a child sitting in her bathroom as 'decoration' as it is too pretty to use.

I have only just started (3 batches so far, all plain practical soaps, not pretty), got Mum to try washing hands with my first batch test bar, she said that is nice, hands feel good. So I said do you want some, you won't need to buy soap anymore, I'll make them for you - her reply 'no, it will be ok'...

She does use soap all the time, so it isn't a liquid soap issue. But she will eat my homemade biscuits.

I think for a lot of people the mind set of shop bought has to be better, if you made it yourself it can't be made properly, goes for both soap and biscuits. If they grew up with home made biscuits, then they will appreciate them. Same goes if they grew up with home made other stuff they will appreciate the soap.

Mum has always baked biscuits and they are the BEST, so much tastier than shop bought. But when 1 particular family with little children visit, the wife always brings a packet of shop bought biscuits for the kids and won't let them eat Mum's, saying they are not healthy! :rolleyes:

Mum has always baked biscuits and they are the BEST, so much tastier than shop bought. But when 1 particular family with little children visit, the wife always brings a packet of shop bought biscuits for the kids and won't let them eat Mum's, saying they are not healthy! :rolleyes:
Time to teach the kiddies about ingredient lists on packets ;)
(I would wager that your Mum's would have the better set of ingredients)

The only real argument after ingredients, is whether factory/mass-produced is better than home-made.
(I sure know which one I usually prefer, but your observation is interesting)

I wonder if the children will rebel against their plastic-wrapped upbringing? They might ... we live in interesting times :oops:

The only real argument after ingredients, is whether factory/mass-produced is better than home-made.
(I sure know which one I usually prefer, but your observation is interesting)
For me, home made would win every time, I like to to know what I am eating/putting on my skin.

But I think the big corporations have done a very good job with advertising to make the masses believe that shop bought is always better. Could explain why home soapers who sell at markets and on-line do OK, because it feels like you are buying from a 'shop', but if you just make it for yourself, and give some away, well that's just home made.

Hi everyone ☺
You know, the same can be said for any other gift. You have no certainty that the recepient will use the gift.

Gifts are either loved & used; loved & not used; hated & thrown out; hated and put at the back of the cupboard for the heirs to discover and dispose of; re-gifted etc.
Sometimes, people love it but already have too many & pass it on to someone else who they feel needs it more.

I have many people say it's too pretty to use, or it matches their bathroom perfectly & use it as a decor item on the shelf.
At least when they say it's too pretty to use, you know they like it.

It's darn difficult to know what to give sometimes.

I asked people how they like my gifted soap. Same story as elsewhere: some liked it and some didn't use it, either because it was "too pretty to use," or they prefered liquid soap. I try to persuade them my soap bars are not intended as a decoration of their home nor a scent for their wardrobe but for cleaning their skin.
I hear the same ”too pretty” comment - but as I DO keep some of my soap in my socks and undies drawer, i just suggest to my friends that storing with clothing is a perfectly good spot until it’s needed in the sink or tub 😁. Storing in the wardrobe keeps it dry and dust-free!

My grandmother, also in her mid 80's, kept one of my MP soaps open in her closet for at least a year because she liked the smell and thought it was too pretty to use. It was a variety I keep in stock to this day, so it's like, just use it and ask me for another one! 😂 She properly uses my soaps now, thankfully.

She actually ran out of my soap recently and called me asking me if she could melt down some decorative guest-size soaps she's had in a jar in her bathroom for as long as I've been alive and make some bigger bars out of that. Maybe I'll make a soapmaker out of her yet 🤣

This Christmas, I'm planning on making a google form to send to people and have them fill it out if they want soap and pick the fragrances they'd be ok with receiving. Maybe that takes the surprise out of it, but at least then I know they're "opting in" to it. This also means they're legally obligated to give me feedback 😜

Latest posts

Back