help with creating a recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrine025

Reaction score
Hi, I use a product called argan oil styling cream on my hair every day, it makes it super soft and I love it, however it is full of stuff I don't want :(. It is made by one 'n only and is sorta like a lotion for my hair. If anyone could help me figure out how to make something similar I would LOVE them lol. Seriously though I don't know where to start. Aqua is the first ingredient so obviously water, argan oil and a preservative for sure but what else?

If I have found the right product, here is the ingredients label:

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Hydrolyzed Keratin, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 10 (CI 47005)

I think thats it, I just dont want all the chemicals! I know I would need argan oil but beyond that not sure how to get the creamy texture etc.

I make a whipped "hair butter" that I find works pretty well.

1 part avocado butter
1 part mowrah butter
1 part argan oil
1 part coconut oil.

You can substitute the butters for other butters you might have. The texture is whipped and not creamy, but I find it goes on light and absorbs easily. I mostly use it on the ends of my hair.

thanks julia, I may try that. I love how that stuff makes my hair feel. its super soft even after I blowdry. I have tried so many things on my hair and its the best so far.

Quote:
Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Hydrolyzed Keratin, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 10 (CI 47005)

Assuming that these ingredients are listed in order of magnitude, the amount of argan oil in this product is probably very small (coming after fragrance which in this type of product is typically around 1%.)

Cetyl alcohol is an emulsifier
Dimethicone is a silicone
Centrimonium chloride is a conditioning agent
Hydrolized keratin is a protein
Can't remember what polyquat is, probably also a conditioning agent, maybe a protein.

Your hair is probably responding primarily to the centrimonium chloride (great stuff), the keratin, and the silicone and that tiny % of argan oil. You could probably recreate this or even improve upon it (with a preservative) by going to swiftcraftymonkey, as previously recommended, and tinkering around. With all due respect, a whipped hair butter is not going to do the same thing as an emulsified water based product with silicone and conditioning agents, although it might be a very nice thing to use.

Products with a form of silicone (like the dimethicone in this) always make hair shiny & silky. I wouldn't leave that out.

Latest posts

Back