Good fluid recipe guidance needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually soap with Lard , Tallow , Palm and butters in my recipes. But I need a recipe that is going to stay the most fluid for a little while anyway for a complicated design pattern. I m using squeeze bottles for some of it and I never get away too long doing that before it gets too think.

I'm prepared to use a non accelerating FO and to soap at a lower temp and work relatively fast.

Can you please guide me as I know I need mostly "liquid at room temp" oils but also want it to be a decent soap
without my faves above.

Thank you!!

Lard is a super slow tracer so I would think you would have all the time you need to play! How about 75% lard, 10% olive, 10% coconut and 5% castor? Or even 20% olive and 5% castor and no coconut.

Lard traces slow. Palm moves faster, and I don’t know about tallow. Try lard at 40-50%, coconut at 20%, keep castor to a minimum (2-3% if at all)and use the rest in liquid oils of choice. If you know that your FO is well behaved, a steep water discount will give you a crazy long time to work. I can’t link it right now, but read the thread for the high water/low water challenge that newbie did a couple of years ago. There are some well behaved FOs mentioned there too.

I find tallow moves faster than lard

I used an accelerating FO a little while ago and wanted to swirl so I went to extremes and made a 100% OO castile with a 30% lye conc, it worked well I had plenty of time to swirl and I actually used it at 10 weeks cured and it wasn't a bad soap.

Oh, I never had issues with castor. I did a 80% lard, 15% olive and 5% castor because of a lady with a coconut allergy and I thought I'd never get trace. It took soooo long.

I’ve not had an issue but some have. Again, it depends on the recipe. I had more issues with palm and castor together. Not so much lard and castor. It’s trial and error for sure. [emoji3]

Lard traces slow. Palm moves faster, and I don’t know about tallow. Try lard at 40-50%, coconut at 20%, keep castor to a minimum (2-3% if at all)and use the rest in liquid oils of choice. If you know that your FO is well behaved, a steep water discount will give you a crazy long time to work. I can’t link it right now, but read the thread for the high water/low water challenge that newbie did a couple of years ago. There are some well behaved FOs mentioned there too.

I read the High/low water thread. I'm going to try that.

Latest posts

Back