Formula for stress-free swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've played it safe for many years with soaping (after initial experimentation) and stuck to only natural colorants and minimal "design". The most creative I've gotten with soap is making 2 layers :p

I felt I needed a challenge now and I wanted to make soaps for a dear friend's birthday next month. After many stressful pours in the past, I finally formulated one recipe that will stay non-negotiably fluid. Probably the highest Oleic number I've ever had. I've broken a lot of the "rules" and still had success. I should also note that I soaped at room temp. I live someplace generally hot and humid but it's a bit cooler (but still humid) this time of the year.

Olive Pomace 25%, High Oleic Sunflower 23%, Palmolein 23%, Virgin Coconut oil 20%, Castor 5%, Kokum butter 4%
Lye solution 33% (+ SL)

Even used some Citrus EO blend, Micas, Charcoal and Oxides and I had soo much time to work this. It was not stressful at all! That's a rarity for me :D

Sharing this for anyone that wants to try it x

Thanks so much for sharing that! I'm scratching my head because this recipe would accelerate like crazy for me, particularly with pomace OO, and to a lesser extent the CO, castor, any butter, and charcoal. Besides soaping at room temp, I'm wondering if your citrus EOs helped out here, since they can slow down trace. Soaping can be such a mystery at times!

Care to share any pics of how your swirls turned out? 😀

Ohhh. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that Citrus EOs would accelerate trace! Did err on the side of caution.

The Oleic % is 49 btw! This is what kept it fluid I guess? This bar will melt fairly quickly because of the high oleic number, so the butter is an attempt to help that while simultaneously not accelerating trace.

I'm excited/anxious to unmould it in 24 hours. Happy to share whatever the outcome is 🤣
Thanks so much for sharing that! I'm scratching my head because this recipe would accelerate like crazy for me, particularly with pomace OO, and to a lesser exte🤣nt the CO, castor, any butter, and charcoal. Besides soaping at room temp, I'm wondering if your citrus EOs helped out here, since they can slow down trace. Soaping can be such a mystery at times!

Care to share any pics of how your swirls turned out? 😀

I realised after finishing the top that I forgot to swirl the inside 🥴

As promised…

Attachments

• 4B73C35A-D53D-4A70-B212-8758CE048C15.jpeg
    4B73C35A-D53D-4A70-B212-8758CE048C15.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A1E28016-7708-44A6-9E6C-373DFA43222E.jpeg
    A1E28016-7708-44A6-9E6C-373DFA43222E.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4F71F443-B117-44B1-8126-FA3187ACC5FB.jpeg
    4F71F443-B117-44B1-8126-FA3187ACC5FB.jpeg