Good basic formula for a body soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunset2burst

Reaction score
I have crisco/palm, olive, coconut, and castor. I'm wanting to make a good batch of all purpose body soap. Lathers well, long lasting, hard, does not try out skin, cleans well, moisturizes. Also what are a few non expensive EOs that I can add to a all purpose body bar? I have lavender, lemon, and tea tree, but I feel like those are more for face.

Does a basic soap with oils and lye/water and not EOs or FOs make a good body bar?

Thanks!

The last time I used lard was with my GM soap a couple of weeks ago. It's already amazing -- can't wait to try it in a few weeks!!

sunset2burst said:
I have crisco/palm, olive, coconut, and castor. I'm wanting to make a good batch of all purpose body soap. Lathers well, long lasting, hard, does not try out skin, cleans well, moisturizes. Also what are a few non expensive EOs that I can add to a all purpose body bar? I have lavender, lemon, and tea tree, but I feel like those are more for face.

Does a basic soap with oils and lye/water and not EOs or FOs make a good body bar?

Thanks!

Some of the more reasonable e.o.s are Amyris, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lavender 40/42, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Lime, Litsea cubeba, Peppermint, Spearmint, Sweet Orange, and maybe for a little splurge Patchouli and Ylang Ylang III. For any citrus or citrus blend I always add some litsea cubeba to anchor the scent.

One of my favorite combinations is sweet orange and cedarwood.

sunset2burst said:
I'm wanting to make a good batch of all purpose body soap. Lathers well, long lasting, hard, does not try out skin, cleans well, moisturizes.

Handmade soap isn't moisturizing because it is cleaning oils, etc from your skin. You can make it less drying and more conditioning. But if you want something to moisturize your skin, you need to use a lotion or cream.

I totally meant conditioning and not moisturizing. My B lol I really dont have a problem with try skin. Just more or less something that is not terribly harsh but will still get me clean.

You can use less coconut and a higher superfat if you want something less harsh. However, Castile soap is probably the gentlest soap you could make and it eventually gets rock hard. :D

Latest posts

Back