glycerine in LS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi

Reaction score
IrishLass just commented about LS and glycerine in another post and instead of hijacking that thread... (thank you Lass, i've wanted to ask about this for a while and needed the memory jog :) )

I have used glycerine in LS after saponification and i absolutely hate the way it feels in the soap. How does it differ in the finished soap when its used to saponify? Is there still that stick?

I am not IrishLass, but there is a distinct change of feel based on how much glycerin is in a batch, as well as when it is added. I prefer the glycerin added to the KOH/water to glycerin added in dilution. It should not make a difference, but it does to me.

Bodhi, I've never tried adding glycerin after saponification. I've only ever mixed it with the KOH up front, so I have no way of knowing how the 'feel' of the finished soaps compare with each other. I can say this, though- I do feel a brief, initial stickiness after washing my hands with my glycerin liquid soap, but it's very brief indeed- it lasts only as long as a few seconds, and then -poof- it's gone completely.

IrishLass :)

Thank you IrishLass, thats what i was wondering. Maybe I am overly sensitive to it.

I agree with IL on how it feels. I use glycerin for my KOH solution. There is a short sensation of tackiness when first drying my hands, but it leaves quickly.

Back