Mixing glycerin and Sodium hydroxide?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafm73

Reaction score
So, having made liquid soap using the glycerin method (replacing the water with glycerin) using KOH, I have been wondering what would happen if one were to attempt to make a hard bar of soap using glycerin instead of water? I have been researching how to make my own M&P base and there are several different techniques using different solvents and thinking about all of it led me to ask here. Would the saponification happen quickly as it does in liquid soap making? The last batch of liquid soap I made turned out so crystal-clear (using 95% coconut oil and 5% castor oil) so I wondered how using glycerin the same way but with NaOH instead would affect the final product? If anyone knows or has more info about this, I would be thankful to learn more!

As always, thanks to all of you who help guide people like myself...I appreciate it!

Kim

I haven't done exactly what you're talking about, but close enough.

Glycerin interferes with the normal crystal structure that normally develops in bar (NaOH) soap. For that reason, it's one of the solvents often used in melt and pour soap or translucent soap.

If you make NaOH soap with glycerin, the soap might be more translucent. It will be softer and somewhat rubbery compared to the same recipe made with water, not glycerin.

I haven't done exactly what you're talking about, but close enough.

Glycerin interferes with the normal crystal structure that normally develops in bar (NaOH) soap. For that reason, it's one of the solvents often used in melt and pour soap or translucent soap.

If you make NaOH soap with glycerin, the soap might be more translucent. It will be softer and somewhat rubbery compared to the same recipe made with water, not glycerin.
I am just now seeing your reply and thank you. I have flashbacks to Organic Chemistry every time I want to try something new. FWIW, I incorporated several tutorials and successfully made a 'translucent' soap, LOL. It looked much clearer before I used the dissolved sugar. Don't know why it became cloudier, but it was fun and I am now using the ginormous amount of soap I made for other thing, like exfoliating bars etc.

Thanks again for your wisdom!

Latest posts

Back