Glycerin Method question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafm73

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you to all who come here and guide others. I have asked and learned so much from y'all. I was able to quickly and correctly make liquid soap (after extensive reading here)...each and every time I have tried!! Probably five or six times now without complication or confusion, so YAY!

I only make liquid soap using glycerin as a replacement for water (100%, no water at all). Each attempt has been ready within an hour or so of stick blending and resting. I know what glycerin does as a water substitute in that it helps to shorten the amount of time it takes for the soap to saponify. Other than that, does glycerin impart any other benefit when being used this way (instead of as an additive AFTER making soap)? For instance, I made a 100% coconut oil LS paste strictly for household cleaning since that would be harsh on skin as a skin cleanser. But, does using glycerin as a water substitute in making LS have properties that are beneficial as a humectant/protective additive or does using it this way destroy that ability? Would 100% coconut oil soap be made less irritating by using this method? Since I have never made my LS without glycerin as a water sub, I do not have a way to compare those properties of how it feels on the skin. Or if it helps with retaining moisture on the skin as a humectant.

Has anyone made the same recipe both ways to compare or do you know the science behind my line of questioning? Thanks again for any info you can provide!

Kim

I have made two of my LS recipes both ways, and I do feel like the soap I made with glycerin is easier on my skin. That’s my personal observation only; I haven’t asked any of my users to compare.

I will note that I don’t use glycerin as a 100% water replacement, because I prefer to avoid heating the glycerin-KOH combo with all of the potential dangers of that.

Instead, I dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of distilled water, and then use glycerin for the remaining liquid.

Since I typically use a 25% lye concentration to make LS, the ratio ends up being 1:1:2 water:KOH:glycerin.
My soap still traces quite fast. Plus, the KOH dissolves much more quickly in water than in glycerin, with no heating necessary. This is a nice way for even beginners to safely use the glycerin method! 😀

Last edited:
I was able to quickly and correctly make liquid soap (after extensive reading here)...each and every time I have tried!! Probably five or six times now without complication or confusion, so YAY!
Impressive. Way ta go, Kim!!! :hippo: :hippo: :hippo:

does glycerin impart any other benefit when being used this way
As far as being a humectant, since soap is a wash-off product, I doubt that particular benefit would linger. I can't say I've noticed any difference vs. LS made with water. However, GLS is a game-changer for me when making Olive or Almond Oil castile LS that otherwise takes "forever" to trace and to cook. It takes all of 2 minutes and is SO exciting to watch it go through all the stages of becoming soap that I get a big kick out of it.

Would 100% coconut oil soap be made less irritating by using this method?
I don't find 100% coconut LS irritating. But that's just me. I make it for laundry and in a few cleaning products. I use it in foamers (1:3 soap:water) at the kitchen sink for hands and dishes. No complaints.

I don't bother using glycerin with my other LS's. Most of them are 50% Coconut or PKO plus 50% oils of choice. It generally takes 12-15 minutes to get them to trace, so that's good. I allow them to finish saponifying in a preheated oven (turned off) overnight. It's ready to dilute the next morning.

Keep up the good work! :)

I have made two of my LS recipes both ways, and I do feel like the soap I made with glycerin is easier on my skin. That’s my personal observation only; I haven’t asked any of my users to compare.

I will note that I don’t use glycerin as a 100% water replacement, because I prefer to avoid heating the glycerin-KOH combo with all of the potential dangers of that.

Instead, I dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of distilled water, and then use glycerin for the remaining liquid.

Since I typically use a 25% lye concentration to make LS, the ratio ends up being 1:1:2 water:KOH:glycerin.
My soap still traces quite fast. Plus, the KOH dissolves much more quickly in water than in glycerin, with no heating necessary. This is a nice way for even beginners to safely use the glycerin method! 😀
Thanks so much for your reply. Interesting that you seem to have noticed a difference in your 2 soaps. I don't know if I will ever make a LS without glycerin simply bc the method, to me, is so easy and successful! There is the added cost of glycerin vs water, but I don't make to sell-I just make soap for me!

Impressive. Way ta go, Kim!!! :hippo: :hippo: :hippo:

As far as being a humectant, since soap is a wash-off product, I doubt that particular benefit would linger. I can't say I've noticed any difference vs. LS made with water. However, GLS is a game-changer for me when making Olive or Almond Oil castile LS that otherwise takes "forever" to trace and to cook. It takes all of 2 minutes and is SO exciting to watch it go through all the stages of becoming soap that I get a big kick out of it.

I don't find 100% coconut LS irritating. But that's just me. I make it for laundry and in a few cleaning products. I use it in foamers (1:3 soap:water) at the kitchen sink for hands and dishes. No complaints.

I don't bother using glycerin with my other LS's. Most of them are 50% Coconut or PKO plus 50% oils of choice. It generally takes 12-15 minutes to get them to trace, so that's good. I allow them to finish saponifying in a preheated oven (turned off) overnight. It's ready to dilute the next morning.

Keep up the good work! :)
I find it immediately makes my skin feel tight...but wow does it lather (I actually used 95% coconut oil and 5% castor). I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. I enjoy reading your anecdotes and thoughts here on the forum. Very informative!

here is the added cost of glycerin vs water, but I don't make to sell-I just make soap for me!
Same here. :) And I also factor in the not-so-obvious cost of wear and tear on my stickblender if I don't use glycerin to speed up the process of getting to trace. As noted, I do elect to use distilled water for dissolving the KOH, and only use glycerin for the remaining amount of water, so that does reduce the total amount of glycerin that I would otherwise use. It's all what works for our specific soaping needs, right? ;)

As noted, I do elect to use distilled water for dissolving the KOH, and only use glycerin for the remaining amount of water, so that does reduce the total amount of glycerin that I would otherwise use.
:thumbs: Good point.

Also.that's much safer for 1st timers who have never tried making GLS. it only takes a bit longer than 2 minutes to become soap and you avoid the high heat and toxic fumes if the glycerin solution scorches.

1:1, or 1:2 glycerin to water takes 12-15 minutes to trace, depending on FAs used.

Latest posts

Back