glycerin rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi

Reaction score
My soaps dripping glycerin. No exaggeration. There is so much glycerin dripping from them that it is pooling around them. Not happy! :twisted:

Whoa! That is crazy!! I have never seen that before. Can you post a picture? Was this a new recipe? Or did you use a new method to soap?

Sorry, no pic Kersten, ill see if i can get one posted later. No new recipes or methods, just the weather. The worst one is an herbal castile.

Yes indeed, this is very frustrating Ruthie! I can barely pick them up they are so slippery and im afraid to move them lest the beads that are staying will fall off and wont absorb back either. I should have wrapped them up a few weeks ago after the last humid bout. Aargh!

Savonniere, Its CP.

If any of ya'll out there know of any dry weather dances, please commence dancing now! :)

Bummer. I do the dry weather dance once before breakfast, once before lunch and once before dinner everyday!

Great idea! Im adopting that habit starting immediately. Ill toss a few half steps in there for you too!

That sucks. It's pretty humid here, but I never had any problems with that; aside from the castile in the bathroom.
As soon as my soap making room is done, I will buy a dehumidifier though.

Sounds to me as if something is wrong with the recipe - it shouldn't be leaking anything. The weather should not be affecting your soap THAT much. Are you willing to post your recipe, so we can see if there's something we can help you with?

Yup. Its pretty bathroom like here Dagmar, and that room sounds wonderful! Im very curious about the barometric pressure too.

Not much to post for a recipe Pamilynn, the worst one is a castille OO, lye and D water, 8%sf, but its all of them so posting the recipes wouldnt help.

Im happy to report that after having a fan directly on the worst ones since yesterday, most of the glycerin on the top has reabsorbed. Picking up round glycerine coated bars to turn them however, is not an easy task, lol. I also managed to get pictures. When i find the camera chord, ill post them.

Keep up those dry weather dances 100%natural! :)

pics added

They're at it again. Pics ---> http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/bodhi4/library/glycerin

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa bodhi! I'm so afraid mine will do the same, hot and humid here.

Want to post the ingredients (not the entire recipe and percentages if you don't want), include any additives like VG, sugar or honey, etc...?

They look like great soaps! Just it is hot and humid here and living in an apartment means no real control of temps, and goodness knows the fridge is not holding all the soap.

Post up your temps and humidity in your space if you have them too, and don't mind. :)

Right now its 76', 67' dewpoint and 80% humidity. All hope is lost...

Thanks Mel. The ones in the pic are just an herbal infused Castile, no additives and probably an 8% sf - thats usually what I sf all my castiles at.

If you have central AC, crank that puppy up now!

where in your home do you exactly keep your soap during cure? you may have to do one of two things ....1. find the warmest / hottest part of the home ( if the air has a dry heat to it like we get here in new york area ) , or 2. create a environment for your soaps to dry in , i.e tubberware bins that seals tightly to keep the humidity and moisture from getting at them . there are a few products that is sold here to draw moisture out of the air , used in the bathroom and anywhere that moisture in the air develops that may be put in the bin as well as to help the situation >>> (product in mind , just one , there are others ) >>> http://spencerprop.featuredblog.com...ep-moisture-out-of-the-master-bathroomcloset/
i hope it helps , together we can find a way to combat your problem that in turn create a solid solution to the problem wherever it may raise up

Right now its 76', 67' dewpoint and 80% humidity. All hope is lost...

Thanks Mel. The ones in the pic are just an herbal infused Castile, no additives and probably an 8% sf - thats usually what I sf all my castiles at.

If you have central AC, crank that puppy up now!

Lucky you with central air! Put a fan on the soaps too until the humidity goes down. Pull them all out to a spot in front of it.

Humidity is a pain!!!!!!! AARRGGHHH!! 80% is too high for soap, or humans, hahaha. Gonna' check mine now. Got a cheapy thingy from WalMart to tell me temps and humidity due to the many allergies, had to buy a room size only dehumidifier. It does run up the electricity bill even though it says "Energy Star", but central air is supposed to take care of humidity. :)

My castiles are getting sweaty, but the bastiles are okay for now. Catiles feel like they never even cured.

Last edited:
.... lolol , i was still looking after i posted my reply and found a visual to my idea .... this is the idea i was putting forth / just think soap >>>> http://shewsburycam.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-dry-box.html

Lion this is a good idea, but when humidity is an issue, it get humid in the box too! Literally the air is thick, hot, heavy. It can make it hard to breathe. Women cannot wear makeup or hairspray unless it is formulated for humidity, and then you just pay more for melty makeup and hair, :lol:

Even your dry clothes weigh more from humidity. It is an odd thing, fascinating, but unpleasant. You can feel it on the floors when you wake up. Can feel it on your skin, just everything. Enclosed boxes don't help for me, but maybe they do for others. For me, even the box sweats.

Oh, here is a way to visualize it.

Ever seen a cat get it's furry paw wet? It keeps shaking until it is off?

That is what even the air feels like, but you can't shake it off. Just wet and heavy. Everything and everywhere.

Noooo, thats part of the problem. I dont have central AC and the ones i do have running are not cutting it, nor are the fans. I think Ill just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

Absolutely correct, Mel. Enclosed boxes do nothing to prevent humidity unless they can be hermetically sealed. I have a ton of soap in boxes with silica packets. They are all sweating too.

Great idea Lion, but i wonder if they are more absorbent than the glycerin. Definitely worth a try though, thank you.

I think I need to cordon off a room.

Latest posts

Back