I want glycerin rivers!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
Unlike some people, I like glycerin rivers. I made a layered soap and my intention was to have glycerin rivers in the middle section. So I made a lye concentration of 28% for the middle layer (as opposed to 35% for the other two), I mixed ultramarine blue and water-soluble TD with glycerin and added extra water (to reach the 28% lye concentration). I put the soap in the oven afterwards and this morning, no glycerin rivers anywhere! What else can I do to force the glycerin rivers?

Thank you all for your replies. I know the Auntie Clara article and thought I was doing everything right. I gave the soap more water, I gave it warmth, I used water-soluble TD. I think I will give it one more go and then give up after that!

You're more likely to get rivers if you use a recipe that contains a moderate amount of palmitic and stearic acids.

Also once the molded soap fully gels, let it cool as slllooooowly as possible. That is really the key to getting soap to form rivers. Slow cooling lets the different types of soap solidify at their own rate and increases the chance of rivers.

The old makers made what they called "figged" soap -- basically what we call rivers. They didn't use titanium dioxide, but they did add pigmented colorants such as ultramarine blue. They also covered their massive molds with tarps as insulation -- anything to get the soap to cool extra slowly.

You're more likely to get rivers if you use a recipe that contains a moderate amount of palmitic and stearic acids.

Also once the molded soap fully gels, let it cool as slllooooowly as possible. That is really the key to getting soap to form rivers. Slow cooling lets the different types of soap solidify at their own rate and increases the chance of rivers.

The old makers made what they called "figged" soap -- basically what we call rivers. They didn't use titanium dioxide, but they did add pigmented colorants such as ultramarine blue. They also covered their massive molds with tarps as insulation -- anything to get the soap to cool extra slowly.
Interesting DeeAnna - so you're you're saying the fatty acid profile actually plays a part? My recipe is quite high in stearic (23) with lower palmitic (13). Might that have something to do with it?

Interesting DeeAnna - so you're you're saying the fatty acid profile actually plays a part? My recipe is quite high in stearic (23) with lower palmitic (13). Might that have something to do with it?

I really do think it does. There seem to be a lot of factors that affect whether rivers form or not, but it makes sense that the fatty acid profile should come into play. The "river" pattern happens when the various types of soap molecules solidify at different temps. Stearic and palmitic soaps will solidify at a different temp range than oleic soap.

Unlike some people, I like glycerin rivers. I made a layered soap and my intention was to have glycerin rivers in the middle section. So I made a lye concentration of 28% for the middle layer (as opposed to 35% for the other two), I mixed ultramarine blue and water-soluble TD with glycerin and added extra water (to reach the 28% lye concentration). I put the soap in the oven afterwards and this morning, no glycerin rivers anywhere! What else can I do to force the glycerin rivers?

I sometimes notice small bits of this, but have not gone out of my way to force the issue, or to prevent it. When it happens, it happens. I also use all natural colorants, which don't always behave as I 'expect' them to, so maybe I have just learned to be accepting of the results I get, in most cases. That said, when I am bent on getting a technique down, I will continue to work on it until I get it down :)

Good luck with your glycerine rivers 😁

My palmitic acid is 19, stearic 7 (and oleic 38). Is that what you would define as moderate?

My palmitic acid is 19, stearic 7 (and oleic 38). Is that what you would define as moderate?

I don't have a definitive answer. My guess is you've got enough palmitic and stearic (P+S) in your recipe to develop rivers if given the right conditions -- warm enough to gel + slow cooling + pigmented colorant to enhance the visibility of the patterns

A 100% coconut oil soap, according to Soapcalc, has a P+S of around 12%. 100% olive oil has a P+S of around 17%. I think this type of soap is much less likely to get rivers.

My recipes usually run around 30% P+S or a bit higher. I know these recipes will develop rivers if given a chance. One batch I did had nice rivers in the portion colored with titanium dioxide (pigmented colorant). The part colored with annatto-infused oil (dye colorant) did not develop visible rivers.

Well, here it is! Still no glycerin rivers although the middle looks weird.

Here is the recipe I used:
5 avocado oil
8 castor
25 coconut
25 olive
27 palm
10 shea butter

What can I tweak to make it more glycerin river-prone?

Attachments

• 21 aug.jpg
    21 aug.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back