Glycerin Lye method for bar soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
Have any of you made bar soap (NaOH) using glycerin to dissolve the lye? I do it for liquid soap but got to thinking...

I've done it. When I was playing around with making my own MP soap, I thought that if I could add some glycerin up front, it would help the soap base dissolve in my propanediol quicker. I ran my recipe as normal, but made my lye solution from 1 part NaOH, 1 part water, and 1 part glycerin. That base was HPed, and then immediately added to the glycol so I have no idea how it would have acted if I had allowed it to set up and cure.

I also did a similar thing when playing around with a NaStearate and propanediol deodorant base. I HPed stearic acid with a lye solution made from 1 part NaOH, 1 part water, and 1 part glycerin. It was formulated for a slight lye excess, but after cook I added enough shea butter to bring it to 5% SF. As this was about 400 g, I didn't proceed to turn it all into deodorant; as a result, some set up, and as you can imagine, was rock hard. But again, I don't know how a normal recipe would work. Glycerin attracts so much moisture that I'd be afraid your bars would sweat. . . a lot.

Latest posts

Back