Glow in the Dark Mica?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at it this way - 20 parts per million is .002%, 3 parts per million is .0003% and 1 part per million is .0001%. So, there is the possibility that .0024% of 2 or 3 grams out of 113 g up to 170 g may have these as impurities in the soap. Using the highest amount of 3 grams, means there could be .000072 g in the soap bar. Using the lower amount of soap (113 g), means these impurities (if they are in the mica) would make up 1,569,444 of the content of the soap. I'm sorry but I don't remember how to figure out percentage of that amount. It's true. If you don't use basic math skills, you lose them. Someone please correct me if my calculations are wrong.

You may consider me blasé. I just don't view the possibility the mica may have these impurities as something to be fearful of based upon the miniscule amount in a rinse off product. However, I do understand your concern since I think most of us (I won't say all) became interested in making soap and body products to reduce exposure to some types of chemicals.

That is true - the quantities of impurities are negligible if they existed at all. The soap would only be used during Halloween. My kids are plenty old enough to handle not eating it. Some days I do worry about the college-aged one...

I think I'll try it out. I *really* wanted to try it out. The black-light responsive fluorescent colorants look like fun, but I don't often host raves and am fresh out of black lights in the bathroom. ;)

I've mainly gotten into soaping looking for a creative outlet and to make a superior product than one I can buy at the store. Chemicals themselves don't scare me so long as they are considered safe - we are all made of star stuff after all...

Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm learning so much from you all!

Last edited:
TKB lists this product as "glow powder", not mica. So how do you list on label/ingredients? As glow powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making Forum App....love this app!

TKB lists this product as "glow powder", not mica. So how do you list on label/ingredients? As glow powder?

I initially was looking at a different vendor that listed it as mica but was lucky enough to get a sample of the TKB powder.

As for labeling, I'm sorry I haven't a clue as I'm just a hobbyist. I wouldn't think you have to specify anything for colorants above what you would normally say, but please don't take my word for it. :)

I initially was looking at a different vendor that listed it as mica but was lucky enough to get a sample of the TKB powder.

As for labeling, I'm sorry I haven't a clue as I'm just a hobbyist. I wouldn't think you have to specify anything for colorants above what you would normally say, but please don't take my word for it. :)

Thanks for your reply!

First, I would think that wouldn't be skin safe..glow in the dark pigments/particles contain phosphorous, and possibly photochromic powders..

They are mainly used in resins and plastics or other crafts that aren't directly applied on skin, like soap would be.

That image is most likely resin and not MP...unless you got that image from a soap site? If so, can you give a linky?

Mad micas and nurture soap have it for soap it's hard to buy always sold out

Mad micas and nurture soap have it for soap it's hard to buy always sold out
Glow-in-the-dark pigment in soap has ceased to be a highly questionable phenomenon. While it's not the most natural colorant, those of us who happily use lab Micas and other man-made colorants might add it to our soaps, and those who prefer all-natural clays and pigments might not. No (overt) judgement either way. I happen to love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back