Functional Packaging Concerns?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makemineirish

Reaction score
Whenever I try to search for packaging guidelines, a myriad of information pops up on labeling criteria and aesthetic options. Neither is what I am looking for right now. I can handle legislative language and "cute" all by myself.

My concern is what materials or method of packaging soap is best suited for preserving the scent and quality of the bar?

I assume that you do not want to completely enclose it in a water impermeable material like shrink wrap. At the same time, leaving it completely naked would allow the scent to dissipate more rapidly.

Is wax paper too impermeable to allow evaporation?
Are coffee filters too breathable to retain fragrance?

I understand aesthetic appeal, environmental considerations, and labeling laws. I can wrestle with the difficulty of appeasing visual and olfactory curiosity, while effectively labeling and protecting the product.

However,...
I have yet to find a single article or thread that discusses why you should not completely encase your soap in shrink wrap, leave it entirely naked, and the plethora of options in between.

I am not actually intending to sell anything. Rather, I am planning ahead for Christmas presents (assuming my soap-making research translates into a product I am comfortable sharing,...rather than shamefully hiding ugly little soapturds in my own bathroom).

Any wisdom or guidelines on the functionality of packaging choices would be greatly appreciated.

I use boxes with cigar band labels. I have soaps that are over a year old and they have retained their fragrance. You can add a little cosmetic grade clay to the recipe to help anchor the scent.

I package mine in little cello bags. I think this method best holds in scent over the long term. My recipe apparently doesn't need to breathe. I've had soaps packaged that way over several years time with no ill effects.

Go to Google and search for your keyword(s) followed by this phrase: site:soapmakingforum.com

Thanks for teaching me to fish :mrgreen:.

I was researching by way of the forum search bar, and the search algorithm could use some tweaking. I had endless pages of results listing individual replies on a few threads not pertinent to my concern.

Goggle searches were not much better.

Using Google's engine and filtering for forum threads...genius.:clap:

I will promptly put a hex on your ash gremlins to express my gratitude.

You're most welcome. A small "pay it forward" for all the good info I've learned from SMF.

And my sincere thanks for the hex, MMI. My Irish DH has tried to banish said gremlins from the soap kitchen, but he says my pesky ash gremlins respect only feisty Irish soapmakers! :D Being of Scottish descent, I'm rather clueless....!

Back