For my dog?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done!
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15523

You can chop up the liver and put in those icecube trays and freeze them. Dog's can only eat small bit of it at once as it is an extreme laxative.

I'd start with just the chicken breast for the first time and after a couple of days introduce chicken legs. After a week or 2 when he is digesting everything perfectly and his stomach has settled you can try more diverse things.

i just read through it. very good info, thanks! i bought some chicken quarters and some gizzards and a beef liver. i was planning on maybe 1 time a week giving 4 oz of the liver and gizzards in the evening instead of a chicken piece. does that sound right to you?

ETA:
i just gave Guiseppe a chicken leg and a few pieces of gizzard and a smidgen of liver. he didn't care for the liver as much as the gizzards but LOVED the chicken leg. he ate the entire thing in about 20-30 mins. the only thing that surprised me is that he kept trying to carry everything off to another room. i just moved his crate to the kitchen and let him take it in there so he wouldn't track anything nasty through the house.
the funniest thing was after he finished he went and got his "baby" a long skinny squeaky and started chewing and shaking the heck out of it as if he were trying to get to the meat! it was so cute!!

:p I'm really not good at converting to lbs and oz. Let's say a pug is 10 kg on average. He would eat about 200 grams of meat daily. Thats 1400 weekly. Liver is 2,5% of the diet, so that would make 30 grams a week. That would be around 1 oz per week. Giving more will result in... a lot of yucky poop!
Also, I wouldn't give the gazzard more than twice a week to start with. Really do not worry to much about the organs now and slowly introduce new things.
I'm so glad he likes the chicken leg! That's a real good start :D Sounds like he did a good job; they really have to know how to handle the meat and bones. In a couple of weeks he'll fifish the leg in 5 minutes :p

We have learned Charlie to eat everything on a doormat (turned upside down so she eats on the sturdy plastic). Comes in real handy.

i will look for mat, thanks for the suggestion.
i converted the 200 grams to oz and it comes to 6.7 oz. that isn't very much. it is like 1 chicken leg a day. i feed Guiseppe 2 times a day. half a cup of kibble in the morning and half a cup in the evening. he is not overweight by any means but with the raw diet will that one leg last him all day without hunger? i don't want him to starve... :oops:

I think I will try this. I did not know that raw pork is not good for dogs. No wander that they had diarrhea when I gave them pork rib the other day. I will start with raw chicken now.
Thank you for the post gadmar.

For those of you who wish to use a very basic diet but aren't comfortable with raw, there is a food on the market that is sold fresh in a deli case that contains only meat, rice, peas, carrots, and all the necessary vitamins and minerals dogs need. No byproducts on the meat. Comes in chicken, beef, and turkey. (They make cat food, too.) Switching to this food solved all our chi's allergies. Not sure if I'm comfortable posting the brand, although I don't have an interest in the company! (Wish I did, tho!). PM me if you want more info or the mods can let me know if it's OK to post brand.

Back